Monday, May 30, 2011

OMT: Romans 9:6-18

Previous translations:

Romans 1:1-7
Romans 1:8-10
Romans 1:11-15
Romans 1:16-17
Romans 5:12-17
Romans 7:13-25
Romans 8:1-8
Romans 9:1-5

6But [it is] not such a case that the word of God has failed [till now].  For not all those from Israel are Israel. 7And [it is] not that all the children are seed of Abraham, but "From Isaac will your seed be called" (Gen. 21:12). 8That is, those children of the flesh [are] not the children of God but the children of promise are considered as seed. 9 For the word of promise is this: "According to this time I will come and a son will be to Sarah" (Gen. 18:10).

10But not only [Sarah], but [the promise relates] also [to] Rebecca, being pregnant from one [man], Isaac our father. 11For [the children] not yet having been born nor having done anything good or bad (so that the purpose of God according to election might remain, 12 not from works but from the one who calls), it was said to her that "The older will serve the younger" (Gen.25:23), 13 just as it stands written, "I love Jacob, but I hate Esau" (Mal. 1:2-3).

14What, therefore, will we say?  Unrighteousness is not with God, is it?  May it not be!  15 For to Moses he says, "I will show mercy on whomever I will show mercy and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion" (Ex. 33:19). 16 Therefore, then, it is not a matter of the one willing nor of the one running but of God who shows mercy.  17 For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "I led you to this very [point] so that I might demonstrate my power in you and that I might proclaim my name in all the earth" (Ex. 9:16).  Therefore, then, he will show mercy on whom he wills, and he will harden whom he wills.

No comments: