Tuesday, January 01, 2013

It's New Year... again

We'll all be dead before you know it.  It was yesterday I posted last year's obligatory new year resolutions post.  So how have I done?
  • I didn't kill myself as seminary Dean as much this year.  Most of the thanks for that goes to the delegation of tasks to IWU's common infrastructure.  At the beginning of the seminary, I did a lot of micromanaging of the curriculum and other tasks because I felt like we were doing something innovative that "normal systems" wouldn't do. (In fact, I smile when I see some of our Blackboard innovations showing up in CAPS, like buttons that collect all weekly assignments together and dual due dates during the week--yeah, we came up with that first.)

    But now we're in phase two of the seminary.  We're working together with existing structures more and more, finding that happy balance between maximizing large scale efficiencies without losing our personal touch or innovative edge.  The seminary now has an empowered faculty, so like it or not, I have to keep my hands off more.

    Wayne Schmidt as seminary leader means that we are constantly working together with new denominations and churches.  That means there is a continued place for improvisation and innovation that keeps me interested.
  • I remain caught up with all my writing.  My next book deadline is not till March and I have some feelers out for other possibilities.  I continue to weigh whether blogging is distracting or helpful. 
  • I've been in a good rhythm of reading a chapter a week of something.
  • I got all the way through Psalm 11 doing a verse a day.  Not sure if I want to continue, although it was rewarding.
Blog resolutions for the new year?
  • I'd like to continue to post on a chapter of some book every Monday.
  • Maybe on Wednesdays I'd like to post something I'm reading that isn't religious, maybe something on history or science.
  • I'd like to continue working through Grudem on Saturdays.
  • I'd like to continue through my biblical theology on Sundays.
Then there's the normal:
  • Run more.
  • Write something scholarly.
  • You may not know it, but I often read a page a day in math or science.  My goal was to work through three textbooks I have by the time I'm 50.  I'm not going to make it.  They're each over 1000 pages.
Oh well... Happy New Year!!

No comments: