- Death of Sarah: Sarah dies at 127. Abraham buys some land from Ephron the Hittite where he, Isaac, and Jacob will also be buried.
- Finding Rebekah: It was important to marry within your own people, not least to keep property within your clan. Accordingly, Abraham sends his chief servant back north to Haran to find a spouse for his son Isaac.
- Yahweh and His Angel: This is a Yahweh passage. Abraham has confidence that Yahweh will send his angel before his servant so that the right woman will be located.
- Endogamous Marriage: In a group culture, it is ideal to marry someone in the broader family so that property stays within the clan and the identity of the clan stays intact.
- Done Deal: There is no ceremony. Gifts have been exchanged. The decision has been made. Rebekah goes in the tent that had been Isaac's mother and they're married.
1. Genesis 1:1-2:3 (Creation)
2. Genesis 2:4-3:24 (The Fall)
3. Genesis 4-5 (Cain and Abel)
4. Genesis 6-9 (The Flood)
5. Genesis 10-11 (The Tower of Babel)
6. Genesis 12 (The Call of Abram)
7. Genesis 13-14 (Melchizedek)
8. Genesis 15-17 (Hagar and Ishmael)
9. Genesis 18-19 (Sodom and Gomorrah)
10. Genesis 20-22 (Abraham and Isaac)
Next post Friday on Genesis 25-26.