- The reason 2 Timothy is put last in this series is because it is something like Paul's last will and testament. Some of Paul's farewell reminds me of his farewell to the Ephesians in Acts 20. Paul has fought the good fight.
- There's some personal information on Timothy in here.
- There are some good charges for pastors in here (thus, "pastoral" epistles). Pastors are to "rightly divide the word of truth," as the King James puts it.
- One of them has to do with the inspiration of Scripture. Important to recognize that Paul is talking about Scripture as a tool of formation that leads to salvation. He is not talking about Scripture as an answer book or limiting the instruction of Scripture only to its literal sense.
- He tells Timothy to preach the word and warns about the importance of sound teaching.
Personal take away:
- 2 Timothy 2:15 just has always stood out to me--I want to "rightly divide the word of truth." I want to hear what God is really saying through the words of Scripture.