Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Learned a new word today...

I guess I've heard the word technocrat before, but I never really knew exactly what it meant, other than picking up a vague sense of disdain by those I've heard use it.  Here's how I think someone used the word today:

technocrat: a manager who makes decisions based on technical information without considering the human element in the equation

Normally, this sort of person is brought in to manage a crisis (e.g., in Greece).  But if this sort of manager dominates in normal times, kiss your business goodbye, especially if people are involved. They kill morale. Those who can, go somewhere else, especially the innovators and enthusiasm generators.

Technocrats make for GREAT resources and low level managers.  They shouldn't make policy or final decisions.

No comments: