Saturday, March 17, 2012

Philosophical Paraphrases 1: Socrates

I'm tidying up some paraphrases of philosophers.  Here's the first from Plato's Apology, 37-38:
__________
Someone might say, “Surely if you leave the city, Socrates, you can spend the rest of your life in peace, minding your own business.”

It is really hard to make some of you understand my answer to this. If I tell you it would be disobedience to the god to do as you say, and therefore that I cannot mind my own business, you will not believe that I am serious. But if on the other hand I tell you to that the best thing you can do is to discuss virtue daily, along with the other subjects about which you hear me examining myself and others, if I tell you that the unexamined life is not worth living, you are even less likely to believe me.

Yet what I say is true, even if it is not easy to convince you.

No comments: