Monday, March 26, 2012

A Good Day for Eternity


My father woke as every day,
cheerful, come what may.
He no doubt shaved, put on his clothes
and headed out to play.
A coffee and a paper
            were the morning fare each time,
So why not on this final morn
            begin the daily rhyme?
A sip or two with mother
            before eternity,
The perfect end and beginning
            for a noble life to free.
My father was a great man,
            far greater than I’ll be.
His love I never questioned
            nor his generosity.
He always thought of others first,
            and even when he grumbled,
You knew he could not help but do
            the selfless and the humble.
His love for God you could not doubt,
            no deed was out of sync
With the life he thought that God desired
            —he didn’t have to think.
A coffee with my mother
and time to visit God.
I’ll sleep now for a moment,
            take a little nod.
Don’t be too sad, I am at rest,
I leave this world in peace.
My life both here and elsewhere,
            you know will never cease. 

8 comments:

Dick Norton said...

A beautiful tribute, Ken. Was today the very day of his passing? If so, my heartfelt sympathies and prayers.

Ken Schenck said...

Yes, he passed this morning. He was a resplendid man of God. Thanks Dick.

chris.bounds said...

Ken,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your life is a tribute and testimony to his life.

Chris Bounds

Ken Schenck said...

Thank you Chris... my Dad not only believed in holiness, he lived it as well as anyone I know.

JohnM said...

Just saw this Ken and wanted to extend my sympathies. To have the benefit of his example, to know his life will never cease, you are truly doubly blessed.

FrGregACCA said...

May his memory be eternal and may you and all who loved him find the comfort and peace that the Lord alone can give.

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks John and Father Greg!

David Drury said...

This was great, Ken. Thanks for sharing it.