Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Essential Jesus

I've been part of some online discussions recently that have made me really sad (and at times angry).  It's one of those things where God's will seems pretty obvious to me and a lot of Christians but not to a number of others. But what most struck me is the differing picture of Jesus we have.

Since I've been trying to write a book on Jesus here, it struck me that I really need to stop writing the book I want to write and write the book my church needs me to write.  I need to start over.  Here's some brainstorming (not in the order I'll write them).

1. I need to write about Jesus and divorce.
2. I need to write about Jesus and money.
3. I need to write about how Jesus viewed rules, especially how he weighed them against people.
4. I need to write about Jesus and hell.
5. I need to write about Jesus' obedience to God's will when it wasn't easy.
6. I need to write about how the heart was more important to Jesus than the head.
7. I need to write about how Jesus was a liberal compared to his opponents.
8. I need to write about how Jesus discipled his followers.
9. I need to write about what the good news was for Jesus and what it wasn't (bringing people to a moment of decision before baptism).
10. I need to write about Jesus as an example of what we can be as humans.
11. I need to write about how much more important mercy was for Jesus than justice.
12. I need to write about how essential it was for Jesus that people live out loving others, even to the end of a person's life, and that your final destiny depended on it.
13. I need to write about Jesus and the poor.
14. I need to write about Jesus and women.
15. I need to write about Jesus' missions.
16. I need to write about Jesus' power.
17. I need to write about Jesus' death and resurrection.

What have I missed?

 

6 comments:

James Petticrew said...

I need to buy that book :-) it would be really helpful to have something on how Jesus dealt with his opponents

FrGregACCA said...

Implied here, but not stated outright:

the connection between Jesus' career and his execution. IOW, what was it about Jesus that aroused the lethal opposition of the powers-that-were against him?

Ken Schenck said...

On Twitter, Cami Lebovitz added Jesus and judging, which might fit together with one or two above.

Robert Brenchley said...

You missed Jesus and the political powers.

John C. Gardner said...

What about the relationship of Jesus and Judaism in the first century and anti-semitism historically?

Josh and Jaclyn said...

Thought-provoking post, Dr. Schenck. How about Jesus and the new heavens and new earth (related to second coming).