Monday, April 25, 2011

Fulbright Sabbatical in Fall

I received notice several weeks ago that my application to do a Fulbright in Germany this Fall had been approved by the Fulbright Commission.  We've started the logistics of the process (medical approvals, etc) but it looks like my wife Angela and our two youngest will be able to go.

We did our last sabbatical in Germany in 2004 in Tuebingen but we will be at the Universität München this time with Knut Backhaus as our host.  The proposed topic is "Salvation in the Making" and I hope to do something like what James Dunn done did in Christology in the Making but do it for soteriology.  And since Hebrews is my specialty, I have some ideas ;-)

I'm grateful to Indiana Wesleyan for granting me a sabbatical.  IWU hasn't fully worked out the category of Administrative Faculty, so it wasn't a foregone conclusion that I would be able to go on a sabbatical.  But they thankfully granted it.  With the MDIV curriculum effectively written and implemented, I could use the break.

I'd also like to be a scholar for a few days ;-)  There is of course SBL each year.  I get the occasional invitation to write a chapter in this or that project.  But most of the time I'm expected to be "high priority relevant" (as opposed to more typical research scholarship in biblical studies).  It will be a delight to spend a whole semester pursuing truth for its own sake with no one asking me how it relates to anything.

It will be nice to sail in the ocean of the history of human ideas for a few months, even though its more urgent to know how to navigate local creeks.

8 comments:

Tom said...

Great news, Kenny! We're very proud of you... It's also wonderful that you can take family with you.

Tom Schenck, Ph.D

Dave Smith said...

Ken,
You are the Fulbright machine. Well done.

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks Tom (although you revealed my secret name to the world ;-)

Dave, only two allowed in a lifetime, so this is it for Fulbright, but I am eternally grateful to them for these two opportunities...

Angie Van De Merwe said...

You and Angie will LOVE Munich! and surrounding areas! Congrats! I'm sure you will be missed!

Yes, overseeing "creeks" is nerve-wracking, as sometimes its hard to get the creeks connected back to their "roots in the sea", but you will be able to steer the "ship" of Christian faith in the future (which sounds like biblical discipleship, "salvation in the making" a nice "end" for "christology in the making", I assume).

James F. McGrath said...

Congratulations!

TorreyS said...

Congtatulations...Ken(ny)..

Bob MacDonald said...

bravo - well look forward to posts from Germany

Ken Schenck said...

I've sometimes wondered, Bob, if I would blog less if I were focused on research... if blogging is to some extent a sign of boredom in my mind, a lack of intellectual fulfillment. I know this isn't the case for people like James McGrath in relation to blogging.

Right now my thought is maybe once a week posts and more random posting otherwise...