Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blockbuster's Dying Breath...

Blockbuster's closing here in Marion.  We loved it.  It's less than a mile from our house.  We were on the pass, which meant we could go in and get 2 new movies at any time with no late fees.  Every month it auto-paid.

So we had not jumped on the Netflix band wagon.  My step-daughter at college wondered what reason she would even have to come home with no Blockbuster for her and Spencer to use in the service of hours of endless boredom. ;-)

Alas, at the sell-out Tuesday, I bit the bullet and bought a Toshiba Blu-Ray device that has built in wireless and that you can use either for Blockbuster or Netflix.  I cancelled my pass, signed up for the DVD mailing service (which simply does not satisfy last minute people like us who might go through 4 videos on a Saturday).  What I expected is that I would be able to buy some sort of online pass to use with the Blu-Ray.

Not so.  As a sign of Blockbuster's death, I have to pay $3.99 per video we "rent" through blockbuster.com.  It's valid for 24 hours.  This of course means that if we were to have any Marathon Saturdays, we will have to pay nearly $20 to do it.

The final insult was not only that the "signing" package only gives you $5 free (=one On Demand rental) but that our inaugural movie last night "wasn't eligible" for free.

My conclusion?  Blockbuster will go bankrupt in the next 12 months.

4 comments:

Rod said...

They did file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year. And one closed nearby, but the Blockbuster right down the street from me is still in business. I use redbox.

Angie Van De Merwe said...

We went to Family Video last night and it was packed. We could hardly get out of the parking lot! I think there are several factors taht served them well over and against Blockbuster.

Free children's movies are a draw for families! We allowed Hannah and Drayton to each choose a movie, and then, Wim chose one and I chose one. I picked up a bag of "Cotton Candy" for the grandkids to share and when she began to total my bill, she asked if I wanted the movies for 5 days instead of 1 for a extra 50cents, then she asked if I wanted another "treat" for $1, whatever our hearts desired! Our bill totalled a little over $7! I thought that was a great deal and Family Video had just sold us $2 more than I had intended to pay before checking out! In Marion, such bargains as these are necessary, if companies are going to survive in Marion!

Blockbuster is a big national company, that I don't believe has the flexability that is needed to meet local demands, as it has so many competitors, and local markets seem to appeal to small communities such as Marion's...

The Circuit Rider said...

We use Family Video and are pleased with them!

Anonymous said...

If your step-daughter and Spencer's only reason to be home is Blockbuster, heaven help you and your town. Just because there is a Blockbuster around doesn't mean that is a good thing. In fact, it could actually chase people away from your town with the company's horrific service and all. Closing Blockbuster stores is a good thing and yet the company refuses to do so.