Monday, January 25, 2010

"Whither Wheaton"

Scot McKnight (http://blog.beliefnet.com/jesuscreed/) has drawn attention to this piece that was yanked from Books and Culture at the last minute. Scot McKnight has mentioned it in abbreviated form on his blog:

Wheaton 1
Wheaton 2

Virtually impossible to keep anything quiet or private these days. Don't wait to make your own announcements. Someone in the room will have Twittered it before you even leave the meeting. I don't know how to change our privacy laws, but I wonder if they will be to our detriment in the twenty-first century.

2 comments:

John Mark said...

I’m surprised no one has found this post worthy of discussion, since there are a number of issues at play here
1. Censorship &
2. Privacy, of course
3. What should be done to protect orthodoxy: (and) How is this defined? Will any school (such as the new C. S. Lewis College in New England, if my memory is serving me well enough) allow for a “mere Christianity” approach which would allow both Protestants and Catholics on staff? I know that Notre Dame already does this, as do many others, I’m sure. I’m thinking of schools such as Wheaton, or conservative Protestant denominational schools.
4. What school administrations should do to keep denominational purity from being corrupted. Maybe this is no big deal, but conservatives used to say if you want to keep a ___________ school what it is, don’t hire anyone who is not a member of the ___________ church. In our post-denominational age (some say this is not true) will the ability to maintain our identities be lost?
5. Whether or not we can see these kinds of battles continuing to happen in conservative schools in this century.
My two cents, anyway...

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks for posting JM. My just for fun post on Categorizing Traditions grew out of this post--what is close enough Wesleyan to hire at a Wesleyan college outside the religion division? Just me thinking out loud though--such decisions are too wonderful for me, who can know them :-)