The first class is called Pastor, Church, and World. It is, first of all, an orientation to the degree and the unique way we are going about the MDIV. On Wednesday morning, for example, several of us (Bible, theology, and church history profs) are going to dramatize the process for the iconic Integration Paper, which runs throughout each of the courses. You take a pastoral issue and run it through the Bible, theology, and church history to end up with a pastoral theology of the issue.
The course also includes a number of pastoral self-assessments and addresses the pastor as a person. They're reading books like
- William Willimon, Pastor: The Theology and practice of Ordained Ministry
- Henri Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together
- Stephen Seamands, Ministry in the Image of God
- Reggie McNeal, Practicing Greatness