Monday, July 20, 2009

Fundamentalism Definition, Take 2

OK, I tried to take some of the insights from feedback on the blog and on Facebook, and revise the definition while sticking to my own guns.

Is this better?

fundamentalism: In American Christianity, a movement that arose in the early twentieth century in reaction to certain developments in biblical studies (e.g., higher criticism), science (e.g., evolution), and broader American culture (e.g., woman’s rights). It is thus often best characterized by what it opposes, often militantly, or that from which it is separated.

2 comments:

Michael F. Bird said...

Ken,
It's roots are actually in the 19th century with the Niagra conferences and you should also say that it's primary feature is the call for separation.

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks for that. My sense is that militancy was more the emphasis of Marsden and separation more the emphasis of Noll? I can see I'm going to have to detour my life and spend some time on this.