Friday, December 05, 2008

Burn Thayers and Kittel

I'm grading word studies now. Out of sheer convenience and economics, I have pointed my students to Blue Letter Bible, which includes the overload fallacy dictionary to end all dictionaries, Thayer's Greek Lexicon. Other professors have a step in their word studies where they go look at Kittel's Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, the etymological fallacy capital of the theological world.

With great emotion I have written on countless papers that list this sort of extended information, "Absolutely irrelevant."

Burn them both, burn them all!

4 comments:

Jared Calaway said...

Word studies, huh? I usually assign passage analyses. But, then again, I teach about 15 primary sources a semester. Looking with great depth at a short passage makes things manageable.

Nonetheless, I don't get my papers until Tuesday. I am taking the weekend off...which means I will be working on the dissertation (finally!).

Anonymous said...

Or sell Kittel for $150! :)

Ken Schenck said...

Sorry, I'm going to keep mine, despite my rantings...

:-)

Brad said...

I like the Dictionary of New Testament Theology by Colin Brown.

Brad