Saturday, November 01, 2008

Saturday Sources: Ezekiel the Tragedian

Ezekiel the Tragedian dates from around 200BC and likely writes from Egypt. He is of great interest in the "what was Jewish monotheism" debate because of the way he portrays Moses on God's throne. I provide, once again, a partially paraphrased translation based on that of R. G. Robertson in volume 2 of the OTP.
__________
On Sinai's peak I (Moses) saw what seemed a throne so great in size it touched the clouds of heaven. Upon it sat a man of noble mien, becrowned, and with a scepter in one hand while with the other he did beckon me.

I made approach and stood before the throne. He handed over the scepter and he bade me mount the throne and gave to me the crown. Then he himself withdrew from off the throne.

I gazed on the whole earth round about, things under it and high above the skies. Then at my feet a multitude of stars fell down, and I counted up their number. They passed by me like armed ranks of men. Then I in terror wakened from the dream.

And his father-in-law interprets the dream as follows:

My friend, God gave you this as a sign for good. Would I might live to see these things take place. For you will cause a mighty throne to rise, and you yourself will rule and govern men. As for beholding all the inhabited earth, and things below and things above God's realm, things present, past, and future you will see.

No comments: