Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Book Meme?

My old seminary friend James Gibson has tagged me with a book meme. I am supposed to pick up the nearest book, turn to page 123, find the fifth sentence, and post the three sentences after it.

Since I am sitting on the floor in our family room at 5:30am leaning up against the couch, the nearest book is the high school history textbook my 15 year old step daughter was using last night to do her homework, The Western Experience, 8th edition, by Mortimer Chambers, Barbara Hanawalt, Theodore Rabb, Isser Woloch, and Raymond Grew (Boston: McGraw Hill, 2003). I have found the fifth sentence on p. 123. Here are the three that follow it:

"He had first gained a reputation in 77 B.C., when he was sent to Spain to end a revolt there. After completing this task, and while his army was still intact, he helped suppress a rebellion of slaves in Italy led by a Thracian slave named Spartacus. The campaign was already under under the command of another ambitious Roman, Marcus Linius Crassus, the richest man of his time."

Sorry, the fifth sentence told us who this person was, but I was only required to copy the three that followed it. If you want a hint, he walked into the Holy of Holies in Jerusalem in 63BC. Now I'm supposed to tag five others to pass along the meme. I will tag the last five commenters on my blog that I didn't tag last time (adding McGrath for tagging me last time; prepare thyself Jai for pay back :-). As usual, no hard feelings if you refuse to participate in such internet frivolity.

Thus tag I James McGrath, Craig Moore, Mark Schnell, Jennie-Joy, and Scott Hendricks. The book thing is actually a little more interesting than a generic meme.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the spirit of redistribution here is page 123, 6,7,8th sentences from the book "The Marketing of Evil" by David Kupelian.

"Thus, without also a shared love of truth to lead them both into the nobler realm of life, theirs will never be a "marriage made in heaven." And that, again, is the ultimate purpose of marriage-to lead us to a closer relationship with our Creator by developing within us the character traits that befit God's children. For those sincere enough to embrace this challenge, marriage is the arena of life."

Jennie Joy said...

"There will come a moment when there is bad news, or he is in trouble, or is living among a lot of other people who do not believe it, and all at once his emotions will rise up and carry out a sort of blitz on his belief. Or else there will come a moment when he wants a woman, or wants to tell a lie, or feels very pleased with himself, or sees a chance of making a little money in some way that is not perfectly fair: some moment, in fact at which it would be very convenient if Christianity were not true. And one again his wishes and desires will carry out a blitz."
-p 123, Mere Christianity, C.S. Lewis

(I will return to Sudan on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. :) Thanks for your prayers!!!)

Mark Schnell said...

Here you go, Ken. On my desk is a book called, Islam by Caesar E. Farah. The first two sentences are a quote from the Koran.

"Say, my prayers, my offerings, my life and my death are for God, Lord of the Worlds Who has no partner with Him. This I have been ordered (to believe), and I am the first to submit (unto Him.)"
It is also argued that belief in predestination prevents fortune or misfortune to sway the believer from the "right path."

I have dutifully tagged five others. Now nothing bad will befall me and I am expecting a windfall of good luck!! I also actually put a new post on my blog and plan to actually start blogging regularly as soon as this semester is over.