Wednesday, August 06, 2008

My CBQ Article Out at Long Last

I received about a ba-zillion copies of my latest article in the mail today. It's titled, "2 Corinthians and the Πιστις Χριστου Debate." If you're in Marion and want a copy, I have dozens of them.

I basically argue that the logic of 2 Corinthians 4:13 moves from the faith of Jesus to Paul's faith. I suggest that the pattern of thought serves as a kind of Rosetta Stone to the faith of Jesus Christ debate. Jesus had faith in God; we are to have faith in the same God who raised Jesus from the dead.

I thus suggest that Romans 3:22 and Galatians 2:16 follow a similar logic. Paul begins on common ground with his imaginary Petrine interlocutor. We know the faithfulness of Jesus Christ is essential for justification (his faithfulness to death=his atoning death).

[I recognize that we can distinguish the faithfulness of Jesus from the faith of Jesus, but they are not too far apart and would easily flow into one another.]

Accordingly, we have trusted in Christ (and in the God who raised Jesus from the dead). From this point on I think Paul largely has the faith of the believer in view.

I thus playfully suggest that Paul's thought moves εκ Hays εις Dunn.

No comments: