Thursday, April 12, 2007

Galilee: The Great Commission

Again, somewhat arbitrarily, I'll mention the giving of the Great Commission today of Matthew 28:16-20. If you're like me, you might blur this together with Jesus ascension after forty days in Acts 1. But the Great Commission occurs on a mountain in Galilee. The ascension takes place in the vicinity of Bethany, according to Luke 24. As Drury has pointed out, this is at least 2 1/2 days journey south.

So I'll mention the Great Commission today. Jesus says, "All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. As you go, therefore, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey all the things I have commanded you."

Then Matthew ends in what seems to be an inclusio with Matthew 1, where the prediction is that he will be called "Immanuel," "God with us." In Matthew 28 Jesus says, "I am with you, always..."

No comments: