Monday, May 01, 2006

The Denominational Ring

With several stacks of papers now behind me (Nate Hendershot if you're out there, it has comments on it and is waiting for you :-), let me finish the outermost ring of my Wesleyan integration circle: the denominational ring.

4. Denominational Integration
The final element to integrate--which frankly is more than a cognitive element given that it has various missional and personal elements as well (these are the terms I will use for heart and ethical integration in the final draft). In this case we speak of course of The Wesleyan Church, the owner of IWU and its sister institutions.

I've already mentioned that our boss, the denomination, has rules. These include that 50% of our overall faculty be Wesleyan in membership and that 66% of the religion division must be denominationally Wesleyan. Further, the chairs of religion divisions and upper level administration must be Wesleyan as well.

This requirement has caused us some effort at IWU, where we now have 12,000 students (when you include online and satellite campus) and we have passed Notre Dame as the largest private university in the State of Indiana. In short, it is just difficult to find doctorally trained Wesleyans in any number of areas and, even if we can find them, they are not always the most excellent candidate. Must we hire less competent professors simply to maintain certain quotas? One of the objections to a Wesleyan seminary sometimes raised by the experienced is, "Where will we find the required Wesleyan faculty to staff the thing?"

These are birth pains, of course. There is nothing to stop someone from becoming a member of the Wesleyan Church when they come of course, although at times this can be a large sacrifice for someone who has spent their whole life in a certain denomination. Some of us wonder whether attending a Wesleyan church might count in some cases (many of our religion department attend Wesleyan Churches even though they are Free Methodist, Nazarene, or United Methodist). And ultimately it seems far more important that a person be Wesleyan in theology than a member per se. I mention these things to open dialog for suggestions. These are denominational matters that our boss will need to figure out as growth continues.

At present, the "on the street" functioning of denominational integration is that a professor at IWU must agree to respect the beliefs and practices of The Wesleyan Church, not necessarily commit to it. I am not certain that this is the official requirement--perhaps they officially are actually supposed to assent to it. But that train seems so far out of the station that I shudder to think of the effort of pulling it back in--it may not even be possible to run a quality university this size and find such folk. I raise an issue for which I do not have perfect answers.

Certainly faculty here are expected to follow an ethical code that is related to that of the Wesleyan Church. You may find it ironic that IWU's behavioral code is actually stricter than that of the denomination. For example, there are more restrictions on dancing at IWU than there are in the Wesleyan Church at large.

The statement of beliefs at the university is of course the same of the denomination. I would say that the broader university must respect these beliefs, although it does not seem necessary to me that all commit to the denominational particulars. For example, I believe we have faculty who believe that all Christians could speak in tongues and ideally would (not in the religion division). But they do not push their beliefs--I only know their beliefs because of where I know they attend church. I have never heard them express such beliefs on campus.

Similarly, we have faculty who do not believe that women should be senior pastors (again, not in the religion division). But they do not express these beliefs on campus and would be rebuked if they did.

My parenthetical comments above push us toward the real nexus of denominational integration--the religion division. Must everyone in the religion division assent to the beliefs of the Wesleyan Church? This question is compounded by the fact that Wesleyan faculty themselves may have "lover's quarrels" with their own church (as Bud Bence often quotes Robert Frost). Further, the Wesleyan Church itself is not a completely static target. For example, if I have understood correctly, the Australian Wesleyan Church has recently been allowed prayerfully to draw its own conclusions about whether or not it is possible to drink moderately and glorify God in its cultural context.

And is there a difference between a non-ordained member of the religion division who, say, teaches a course in philosophy or religions of the world and someone who is directly involved in the teaching of Christian ministries courses? It seems to me there is. I should mention that all the faculty in the IWU religion division ascribe to Wesleyan theology, so please don't think I am referring to specific individuals here at IWU.

But in theory, it seems to me that the degree of concordance of any professor at a Wesleyan university with the teaching of the Wesleyan Church is related to the subject they teach. All faculty must respect and agree not to work against the teaching of the church. But it seems to me that actual embrace of Wesleyan belief is primarily a matter of how "integral" and pertinent those beliefs are to the subjects they teach.

I am working out these thoughts as I type, and there is much food for discussion here. I welcome any thoughts, insights, critique, or correction you might have...

10 comments:

S.I. said...

What about faculty that do not agree with the movie, alcohol, and dancing components of IWU policy? How come these facets are treated differently than say, a prof's opinion about women pastors? Obviously a person can make sacrifices, but those things seem like personal choices that are respected on campus. I love IWU and respect their rules (and did my best to follow them as a student), but I was not anxious to work at IWU because of them.

Ken Schenck said...

IWU profs may take the movie rules less seriously than they should? On the other hand, most of us follow the dancing rules with great rigidity ;-)

I think there have been faculty from other backgrounds who have been hired after putting on their application that they have a glass of wine occasionally--but I frankly can't think of any that do.

S.I. said...

Well, I honestly wish the profs would dance a little. I bet it'd do them some good:-) I went swing dancing soon after I graduated (just as planned:-) I bet Wilbur is hiding some fabulous dance skills.

In any case, when the school changes it's dancing policy, maybe I'll come work there. I just can't give up my dancing shoes. ;-)

Nathan Crawford said...

Dr. Schenck,

In asking these questions, I still feel the discussion on what makes a Wesleyan a Wesleyan. What is it that Wesleyan is? I think that to begin to answer some of the questions you implicitly are raising, we need to begin to examine this. If Wesleyans are essentially non Calvinist evangelicals, then IWU should look much different than if Wesleyan is concerned with personal and social holiness. Ahh, the issues I'll continue to let you work out.

Ken Schenck said...

Nate, I think personal holiness, although we usually don't word it that way too often these days, remains far more the core concern of being Wesleyan than ideological debates with Calvinists--except that this possibility of victory over sin remains one of the strongest points of ideological debate. I sense that social holiness is on the rise and will be a dominant concern of the next generation. Many are quite happy to identify us as an evangelical institution and that is broadly true. But since I think evangelicalism (in terms of the movement begun in the 1940's) will wane in the days to come, I have little interest touting that label as it fades in meaning.

Brian, I think it makes sense as an institution owned by the Wesleyan Church to require individuals in power positions to be Wesleyans (e.g., the president and chair of religion division, etc...). Dave Smith (FM) stepped into the role of the chair because no one else was as gifted, suitable, or available to do the job. But even then he has had the status of interim hanging over his head. We're all hoping him to continue in the job. But this factor has been playing itself out even as we have been typing.

Ken Schenck said...

I believe I went to a Ceilidh while I was in Durham doing my doctorate. It is a little funny that Wesleyans are allowed to dance, but not at IWU unless it is at a wedding or choreographed. I suspect that no one really cares about dancing per se but that the issue is perceived to be a "light" place to fight on the slippery slope. In other words, the president would rather people argue about dancing rather than moving on to something like drinking. This is just my hunch, nothing I know.

Ken Schenck said...

By the way James, I think you've given me a wonderful example of the "personal" core to a Wesleyan college. We have Episcopals who teach here but are concerned about dancing. It goes to my sense that you would sooner get fired for a DUI than for being someone who wondered if God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were all just the same person in different phases. (of course that might get you fired too--let's not try it :-)

Ken Schenck said...

Do I have to wear a kilt? :-)

Ken Schenck said...

or not wear...

S.I. said...

tighty whites, everyone PLEASE!