Sunday, October 23, 2005

Non-Afterlife Odds and Ends

My intention is for this entry to serve as a running list of psalm references that may seem relevant or come close to being relevant to the discussion, but that do not contribute much or do not contribute anything to our understanding of the afterlife in the psalms.


Psalms 7:5
Hebrew (7:6): "... let the enemy pursue my life [nephesh] and overtake [it]. And let him trample my life [chay] to the ground and let him cause my glory to lie in the dust."

LXX (7:6): "then may the enemy pursue my life [psyche] and overtake [it] [Greek lovers, two juicy optatives of wish here] and may he trample my life [zoe] into the ground and let him lodge my glory into the dust."

Not really relevant, except that it has overtones of "dust to dust" (cf. Eccl. 3:20). No sense of afterlife is herein indicated, but none is clearly denied either.

No comments: