Friday, February 04, 2005

My Answer to a Question on Bush

I wrote enough in response to Jake that I thought I would post it by itself:

Here's what Jake wrote:
Just a quick question. Do you still view the war as disasterous as you previously expressed? Or does the high voter turn-out in Iraq seem to indicate that maybe this war had some very good objectives that it is meeting? Has your opinion changed at all?The reason I ask is that while I was fairly ambivalent about the war, when I heard initial estimates of 60% voter-turn out, it definitely swayed me. (I haven't followed news closely enough to hear the actually voter turn-out percentage.) Perhaps the vote count is no indication of how people feel about the war; maybe the Iraqis are just making the most of the situation. But at first glance, it sure seems like many Iraqis are not as opposed to the war as some of Bush's critics. Thoughts?

My response:
My main problems with the war were two-fold:

1. I don't feel we started it under the right circumstances. As a matter of principle, the end doesn't justify the means when other important principles are at stake--at least not without much ado. I have always thought that Bush's goals were good and that most Iraqis would rather have someone else in charge other than Saddam.

For me it's not so much the idea of ousting Saddam that was the problem. It was the cavalier and alienating way in which Bush went about it. Those who are in power do well to remember that they will not always be in power. And when that happens then the new power will exert its idea of justice or vengence on you. The doctrine of preemption is very dangerous--especially when someone else is using it on you.

By the way, the groups that voted both have ulterior motives that may cause us tremendous problems yet, although I hope not. The Kurds are patiently going along with us in hopes that they can become Kurdistan and separate from Iraq altogether. That's why the Turks have opposed this action altogether--they don't want their Kurds revolting in the region and don't want the Kurds to retake Kirkuk. These are future conflicts that will almost certainly come and I don't look forward to them. I sympathize with the Kurds, but I dread the death that will probably take place as they move forward with their goals.

The Shiites are following Al Sustani with similar thoughts. They want to have a Shiite theocracy something like Iran. Again, they're playing along with the system because they know their numbers will ultimately give them the upper hand in the formation of any future state.

Meanwhile the Sunnis are under the thumb of the insurgents, ticked on the one hand that they are no longer in power as the minority. Their voter turnout was atrocious out of fear.

2. My second problem with the war was the wholesale cultural and religious ignorance with which Bush's administration seemed to execute it. Bush clearly had no idea we would face what we've faced. They were dismissive of the reaction we would have in the Islamic world.

On the whole I would say that Bush has gotten lucky. There are so many other scenarios that could have been the reality (and frankly still could be). He played Russian roulette on wishful thinking. The gun went off but only maimed him. Now am I expected to praise him because he's managed to get the patient out of intensive care--a patient he put there?

I will praise him. I'll praise him for good intentions. I'll praise him for being willing to stick it out. I'll praise him for the improved health of the patient.

But I'm not going to let him operate on Iran, North Korea, or Social Security unless he is really clear with me about the operating procedures. (as if I have anything to do with anything he does)

2 comments:

Micah said...

So Bush must have been lucky with Afghanistan as well...? How many occurrences of "luck" does he need to string together before it becomes something else?

Ken Schenck said...

I have never had a problem with what we did in Afghanistan. In addition to the Taliban being absolutely detestable and abhorent, their links with Al Quaeda were clear. In this sense, our action toward them was not pre-emptive and we had broad world support.

I might not have had a problem with taking Saddam Hussein out either under different circumstances. I had no problem at all with the first Gulf War.

As it stands, it remains to be seen just how lucky Bush has even been with Iraq. By lucky I mean that so many things that have happened in Iraq were things he never thought would happen.

You're right that its not just luck--maybe luck's the wrong word even. They've done a good job of "unexpected damage control." They've shown skill at dealing with complications they never expected because of poor planning and naive expectations.

But then again, I'm open to learning I'm wrong. And even if I'm right, maybe it will lead to a better world in the end.