Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Hermeneutics Lectures

This fall for the first time I have the privilege of teaching a graduate level hermeneutics class. I personally have found it hard to put all the pieces together in a way I like. As usual, I find myself wanting to write a book.

But I have made some videos. Here's my sense of how a book might be put together:

I. Hermeneutics
A. Introduction
1. The Hermeneutical Problem
2. Hermeneutical Presuppositions (1 hour)
3. A Three Worlds Model

B. The Structure of Meaning
4. The Meaning of Words (34 min.)
5. The Meaning of Metaphors (36 min.)
6. The Meaning of Texts (39 min.)

C. Synthesis
7. The New Testament Use of the Old
8. The Story of Hermeneutics

II. Interpretative Method

A. Story of Biblical Criticism
9. The Rise of Historical and Textual Criticism
10. Twentieth Century Criticisms
11. Ideological Criticisms

B. Advanced Inductive Bible Study
11. Words and Grammatical Features
12. The World of Discourse
13. The World of Story
14. Genres of the Bible
15. Historical Background
16. Canonical Perspectives
17. The Kingdom Trajectory
18. Christocentric Interpretation

No comments: