Saturday, December 30, 2023

The Week in Review (December 30, 2023)

1. This week of course has included Christmas. I apologize for being one of those sad souls who dread Christmas. The expense has often been overwhelming. I am not good at finding pleasing presents. There are sometimes tensions with broader family. The whole event is the most stressful part of the year for me. I always breathe a breath of relief on Christmas evening. I realize the true meaning of Christmas is lost in all that, but I'm being honest. I have to think I am not alone.

I'd almost like to have a separate day set aside mid-year to celebrate Jesus' birth.

2. On Thursday, I traveled to Cincinnati for FOLLOW, the youth convention my denomination has every four years. I'm still there as I type. This has been really fun. It comes home to me how many youth pastors and pastors I've taught over the years. These are my friends, and it's good to see them.

I'm here with the launch of Kingswood Learn, a free resource for the Wesleyan Church that Kingswood and Campus Edu have partnered to provide. Feel free to sign up and enroll in some micro-courses (5-10 hours each). I'm one of the instructional designers behind the lessons in many of these courses. Let me just point out a few:

3. I am pondering an increasing sense that the Wesleyan Church as a denomination is devolving toward a connection. I would say this trend is largely fueled by Boomer leaders associated with large churches. Many of them are afraid of what has happened in the UMC. They don't like the Trust Clause that says church property belongs to the denomination. They don't like paying the denominational "tithe" that funds schools and central administration. They also have a more Baptistic ecclesiology.

I'm trying to be objective. I think the idea that a connection of churches would retain a coherent Wesleyan identity, that we would still have Follow and The Gathering and common ordination standards and Global Partners and organized church planting and schools that retained a Wesleyan identity seems unlikely to me over the long term. Our schools would go their own way, whatever that is. Small churches would fizzle away without support. Large churches would do their own thing as they pretty much are now, largely Baptist by another name. There would be little funding for current denominational events or initiatives.

We'll see what happens. I think it might take a very intentional effort to reverse the current trajectory. It may already be too late. The Trust Clause would have to stay. The "tithe" would need to stay. District leadership would probably have to be balanced back away from large churches. There would need to be more submission to the denomination's general leadership, whose power is weaker than it has ever been since the denomination was founded in 1968.

What do you think?

3 comments:

John Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Mark said...

I was interim pastor with a now formerly UMC congregation. They disaffiliated over social issues. It seemed just as likely that they left because they had experienced some disappointment with the UMC system, a couple of pastors and just wanted to run their own show. They are being led now by a retired corrections officer who has a history with the church, but no credentials of any kind, and seem very happy.

I am way better at asking questions than answering them, so here is my revised comment/questions: can a denomination devolve without going through a major official split as has the UMC and other denominations? One of our leaders told me once that there are many connectional churches that aren’t part of an official denomination, the point was that we tend to gravitate towards connection. Yet my denomination is fighting many of the same battles they did forty years ago, with the current political and social issues adding fuel to the fire. Where do these things end? In death or near death, such as the Episcopal Church?

Can denominational leaders do anything to influence or be gatekeepers where colleges and universities are concerned? Or is entropy an unstoppable force?

Sun and Shield said...

"We'll see what happens."