Friday, January 07, 2022

University Chemistry II for stable geniuses

I mentioned in my review of last year that I had taken Calculus II for Engineers this past fall with ASU online. I was scheduled to take physics and chem 2 this spring (psycho), but yesterday I hesitantly decided it just wasn't a good use of my resources right now. (I actually CLEPed out of Chem I last summer trying to get into the Chem 2 class. They wouldn't count my AP from high school or my chemistry from SWU in the 80s. I get it.)

Some may know that for over a decade I have slowly been putting physics, calculus, and chemistry videos on YouTube. I thought, why don't I go ahead and put up the equivalent of that Chemistry II course on YouTube this spring. But instead of the crazy 7.5 week courses that ASU does (mega-psycho), why not pretend it's a 16-week online class?

So here's a possible schedule for videos this spring. Without the pressure of a grade hanging over my head, we'll see what happens. But I'll try to pretend at least a little. Let's try to cover eight chapters in Brown, LeMay, Bursten, and Murphy's Chemistry: The Central Science.

As usual, we'll see. I have a day job.

Module 1: Chemical Kinetics (chapter 14)

Week 1: Videos on reaction rates, the rate law, and the change of concentration with time (14.1-4)

Week 2: Temperature and rate, reaction mechanisms, and catalysts (14.5-7) 

Module 2: Chemical Equilibria (chapter 15)

Week 1: equilibrium and the equilibrium constant, heterogeneous equilibria (15.1-4)

Week 2: calculations and applications of equilibrium constants, Le Chatelier's Principle (15.5-7)

Module 3: Acid-Base Equilibria (chapter 16)

Week 1: types of acids-bases, ionization of water, pH  (16.1-5)

Week 2: weak acids and bases, constants, chemical structure (16.6-11)

Module 4: Aqueous Equilibrium Continued (chapter 17)

Week 1: common ion effect, titrations, solubility equilibria (17.1-3)

Week 2: precipitation, qualitative analysis for metals (17.4-7)

Module 5: Chemical Thermodynamics (chapter 19)

Week 1: spontaneous processes, entropy (19.1-3)

Week 2: Gibbs Free Energy, Energy and Temperature/Equilibrium Constant (19.4-7)

Module 6: Electrochemistry (chapter 20)

Week 1: redox reactions, voltaic cells, EMF (20.1-4) 

Week 2: batteries, corrosion, electrolysis (20.5-9)

Module 7: Nuclear Chemistry (chapter 21)

Week 1: radioactivity, nuclear transmutations and decay (21.1-4)

Week 2: nuclear reactions and power (21.5-9)

Module 8: Coordination Compounds (chapter 24)

Week 1: complexes, ligands, nomenclature (24.1-3)

Week 2: isomerism, crystal-field theory (24.4-6)

No comments: