Friday, October 04, 2019

1. Science and Math Books

I can't imagine I will complete this idea, but as I am in the process of moving, my books are largely in boxes. Wouldn't it be interesting to catalog all my books? Well, it would be for me. I'll add to the list as I find them. I've put my favorites in bold.

Math
  • Calculus 6e, by James Stewart (this is the book I've been using to make YouTube videos on calculus for several years now)
  • Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula by Paul Nahin
  • e: the Story of a Number by Eli Maor
  • Linear Algebra, by Richard Penney
  • No Bullshit Guide to Linear Algebra by Ivan Savov
  • Differential Equations: A First Course by Guterman and Nitecki (my college textbook)
Chemistry
  • Chemistry: The Central Science by Brown, LeMay, Burston, and Murphy (this is the book I've been using to make YouTube videos on chemistry for several years now)
Physics
  • University Physics, by Young and Freedman (this is the book I've been using to make YouTube videos on physics for several years now)
  • A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations by Daniel Fleisch
  • Fundamentals of Physics I and II by R. Shankar
  • The Feyman Lectures on Physics, vols I, II, and III
  • The Character of Physical Law by Richard Feynman
  • QED by Richard Feynman
  • Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals by Richard Feynman and Hibbs
  • Reality Is Not What It Seems: The Journey to Quantum Gravity by Carlo Rovelli
  • Seven Brief Lessons on Physics by Carlo Rovelli
  • A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking (I've had since late 80s)
  • Just Six Numbers, by Martin Rees
  • Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark
  • The Road to Reality by Roger Penrose
  • The Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne
  • The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene
  • The Hidden Reality by Brian Greene
  • The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics, by Leonard Suskind
  • Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum by Leonard Susskind
  • Thirty Years That Shook Physics by George Gamow
  • Quantum Mechanics: A Complete Introduction, by Alexandre Zagoskin (bought in LA when I took Sophie to Pepperdine)
  • Introduction to Quantum Mechanics (2nd ed) by David Griffiths
  • Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers by David Miller (a textbook)
  • Covariant Loop Quantum Gravity by Rovelli and Vidotto
  • 30-Second Quantum Theory by Brian Clegg
  • Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur by Lancaster and Blundell 
  • Quantum Theory, by David Bohm
  • Higgs by Jim Baggott
  • Three Roads to Quantum Gravity by Lee Smolin
  • Relativity by Einstein (older version and 100th anniversary edition)
  • The Perfect Theory: A Century of Geniuses and the Battle over General Relativity by Pedro Ferreira
  • A Most Incomprehensible Thing: Notes towards a Very Gentle Introduction to the Mathematics of Relativity (both second and third edition)
  • General Relativity by Robert Ward (a thick texbook I've had since 1984)
  • Special Relativity by A. P. French
Biology
  • The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins and Yan Wong
Computer Science
  • Learning Web App Development by Semmy Purewal
  • Android: Programming and App Development for Beginners by Samuel Shields
Miscellaneous
  • The Columbia University College of Physicians Complete Home Medical Guide (since 1985... I was in a book club)
  • House Construction Details by Burbank and Romney (1979 - my dad was very patient with my requests)

1 comment:

Martin LaBar said...

Gamow wrote some interesting books.