Monday, January 20, 2014

Happy Galatians 3:28 Day!

I've decided not to post what I had written for today. Better to give the Scriptures in it, and I'll let the Holy Spirit fill in the details:

1. "But since faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian, for you are all sons of God in Christ Jesus, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ, have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek. There is neither slave nor free. There is not, "male and female." For you all are one, in Christ Jesus. And if you are of Christ, then you are seed of Abraham, heirs according to promise." (Gal. 3)

2. On Christian resistance to "political correctness":
"When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith." (Matt. 8:10)

3. On Pharisees and talking up certain issues to avoid talking about ones you have a problem with:
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of the bones of the dead and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness." (Matt. 23:27-28)

4. On the "separate but equal" approach to women:
"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy." (Acts 2:17-18)

5. On assumptions that the rich deserve what they have and can do whatever they want with it:
"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it." (1 Cor. 10:26; Psalm 24:1) "If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person?" (1 John 3:17) "

And "someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that and shudder... a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone." (Jas. 2:18-19, 24) "If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them." (Jas. 4:17)

6. Finally, "I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" (Matt. 7:23)

1 comment:

Susan Moore said...

Amen! Teach application of THAT! Good theology there. Keep going...
Waiting for THAT book!