Wednesday, April 03, 2013

My Explanatory Notes on Galatians Published...

If you do a search on this blog for explanatory notes on Galatians, a mess of posts from 2008 will come up, back when I was regularly teaching a course in Romans and Galatians.  I translated and blogged through all of Galatians verse by verse and provided what I called "explanatory notes." The name is of course an allusion to John Wesley's Explanatory Notes on the New Testament, which we are privileged to have not least because of an extensive sickness that pinned him down a bit in 1755.

My notes were like his in that they are brief interactions with small bits of text without footnotes.  I do indicate where I am interacting with the thoughts of others with words like "Some think...."  I think that's a little better than Wesley did, who only mentions his sources in the preface (like Bengel's Gnomon). But the main goal is to read the text inductively.

Another feature of my notes was that they were meant to explain rather than apply the biblical text. They are thus about explaining what Paul probably meant rather than going through the admittedly more pressing hermeneutical task of knowing how to apply his meaning to today.

I may go on to publish the similar notes I made on 1 Thessalonians, Philippians, and Hebrews back in those days.  I also started James and Romans once upon a time.  Perhaps I'll finish those if these notes seem interesting to people.

Here's the 143 page paperback, with original translation and notes ($6.49):



And here's the Kindle edition ($3.99):

1 comment:

Ken Schenck said...

For the level of Kindle I arranged, I had to remove the previous posts of the Galatians explanatory notes, so the link above will not lead anywhere. My apologies.