Monday, December 20, 2010

Latinos/as No Longer GOP

If there was any question, the GOP sealed its fate to lose the Mexican-Hispanic vote for the foreseeable future because of voting against the DREAM Act, which would have made a path for children of illegals to citizenship by going to college or serving in the military. Richard Lugar retains my vote for voting in the spirit of the America I love, the one with the Statue of Liberty that welcomes all who wish to participate in our grand society. "Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses longing to breathe free."

4 comments:

Rick said...

In the short term yes, but I think once they get the "secure the border first" issue handled, they will then handle the other issues that involve illegal immigration.
As those issues are then being tackled, they will begin to build relations with that community.

However, that may take some time, and I think once they start getting to those other issues, the differences of opinion on those issues within the Republican Party will come to the surface.

Ken Schenck said...

I fully support securing the border, but I have no idea how to do so reasonably. Does anyone? Seems like a hopeless venture.

::athada:: said...

You are right on. I don't think the GOP leadership has looked at demographic data in at least a decade.

I don't have the published data now, but I learned in 2004ish that 1/2 of all births in Indianapolis were Latin@. Wake up people.

Rick said...

"Wake up people."

Just because it is currently politically smart does not mean it is a good policy.