Monday, March 16, 2009

In House Quote from Dunn's Galatians Commentary

"In view of a continued emphasis within Christianity on the Spirit as a second experience, subsequent to conversion (so still in classic Pentecostalism), it is important to note that Paul saw reception of the Spirit as essentially the 'beginning' of Christian discipleship" (156, on Galatians 3:3).

Of course Wesleyans believe this as well... I just never really heard the Spirit preached in any way but in regard to entire sanctification until seminary. Despite my quarrels with Asbury and my enthusiasm for IWU's new kind of seminary, I would give Asbury the primary credit for lifting the maturity and depth of the Wesleyan Church into something recognizable by the broader church these last fifty years. For that I thank it.

1 comment:

Angie Van De Merwe said...

Whatever one believes to be spirit is "spirit"? That defies rationality!

I just watched a documentary on Islam last night, "Obessession", which Wim's sis sent to us. She used to be of the "tolerance type"...but has since re-considered her stance and commitment to tolerance where it concerns Islam...and this from an unbelieving, tolerant, Durch woman! I wrote about it on my blog sit last night...'

Conservatism is equal to Islamic views...not very palatable to the taste buds...