Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mark Noll at IWU

IWU was privileged today to have Mark Noll on campus. I was able to hear him in a luncheon and at a presentation on evangelical scholars in the field of history. He is a gentleman and a scholar, warm hearted, dare I say entirely sanctified :-)

Actually he confessed in an after lunch conversation that he prefers Charles Wesley to John :-)He also playfully noted his Calvinism--he knew his audience better than they knew themselves. Russ Gunsalus whispered to me after his presentation, "He knows his stuff."

That is not to say, of course, that his biases are not also apparent--he's aware of them himself, dare I say. I was not surprised to find Kuyper as an exemplary model of engagement with truth for its own sake coupled with a recognition that Christians are something different from the world. :-)

The main theme of the day was how to get more Christians in all disciplines--and Wesleyans--into the broader dialog of truth. He used the field of history, and Timothy Smith (a Nazarene, no less) and Marsden, as examples of a process that has taken years and years for evangelicals to get into the dialog.

I did have a chance after lunch to tell him playfully that he and Marsden were messing up my attempts to distinguish my revivalist forebears from fundamentalism. When I brought up Machen and asked him where he would fit in the revivalists, Pentecostals, and dispensationalists scheme, he answered that he didn't think of Machen as a fundamentalist. :-)

He was curious when someone mentioned we might start a seminary and inquired of where Wesleyan ministers currently went to seminary, what sort of seminary we might start, and so forth. I gave him a few stats:
  • The Wesleyan Church has never had a seminary of its own, thus the rallying cry: "Real denominations have seminaries. Either we should found one or join a real denomination."
  • And since he's now at Notre Dame, I also quoted the book of Sirach: "Call no one happy until he's dead." I won't say IWU is going to have a seminary until IWU has a seminary.
  • Currently most Wesleyans who go to seminary go to Asbury, which over time has (in my opinion) been a very positive influence on the denomination. But interestingly enough, Princeton next year will have the second largest number of Wesleyans going to seminary.

Nice man, great scholar... but where is the Wesleyan that will look at these things with a more careful sense of distinctions important to us?

9 comments:

Kevin Wright said...

Princeton at #2? Wow, does that mean we're going to have a bunch of neo-calvinists running around the Wesleyan Church :)? And to think, I got flak just for going to a seminary that was actually in the wider stream of our theological heritage! I wonder what the people at Education and the Ministry think?

Ken Schenck said...

Given that some of the people at Education and the Ministry have a son going to Princeton next year, I suspect they are not too troubled :-)

Anonymous said...

Why is NTS still ignored in the conversation.

Joshua Derck
NTS Alumni

Ken Schenck said...

Hey Josh, are you in England yet?

I think at least two of the current general superintendents of the WC went to NTS, so it's well represented in leadership. For years it's at least seemed (to me) that the Nazarenes are such a self-contained world that they didn't pay us much attention.

But that seems to be changing. In fact, in recent times it's more Asbury that hasn't paid the Wesleyans any attention since Maxie Dunham's presidency. Greenway was well underway to fixing that when Asbury's executive board lynched him. Of course he stepped into the noose and helped them tighten it too.

Since then Asbury has made some good token gestures of reconciliation. But I also sense that there are some powers who, if IWU doesn't end up with a seminary, would just as well make NTS our most favorite seminary. The president of NTS actually visited our campus last week in person.

By the way, on the topic of Nazarenes, Mark Noll could mention to me H. Orton Wiley's three volume systematic theology and he knew Mildred Bangs Wynkoop. "Was she Wesleyan," he asked. "No," I had to respond. "Nazarene."

The only systematic theology a Wesleyan has ever produced was Luther Lee's now unknown systematic theology of the mid-1800's.

Anonymous said...

Yes we are in England and loving it. I am glad to hear Dr. Benefiel has visited. NPH is in the process of publishing a Systematic Theology by Thomas Noble (NTS Theology Professor). He is a good friend, and I am excited for its release. I am glad to be a part of these conversations, thanks for your good thinking.

Glen Asbury said...

Ken,

I think you meant Timothy Smith, as opposed to Timothy Dwight. Different centuries, as you would know... :)

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks Glen :-)

Glen Asbury said...

Ken,

I have regretted in the intervening days that the inaugural comment I left on your blog was a suggested correction. I have enjoyed your blog for years without expressing gratitude at all that you provide for your readers on a gratis basis and you deserve better than that. So, formally, a big THANK YOU!!

Along with this, I had a question in thinking about Noll's plans for publishing a book on race (if I heard him right?). I grew up in the ultra-conservative wing of the holiness movement (my hunch is that my upbringing was not that dissimilar from your own), and am now a Nazarene working for a Wesleyan university, so I think my loyalties speak for themselves. Regardless, I have always been troubled by the lack of involvement in the civil rights struggles of the '50's and '60's that seems clear on the part of the holiness movement across the board. I really need to study this, and learn more, but what I've come across so far seems to confirm my fears.

Can you suggest any books or articles that might speak to this? I'd very much appreciate any pointers!

God bless,

Glen Asbury

Ken Schenck said...

Glen, my philosophy on correction is that the truth is the truth, whether it is inconvenient for me or not :-)

Don't let me get by with anything less than the full scoop...