Thursday, February 28, 2008

Why we need theologians...

A few weeks ago I slipped in a few explanatory notes on 2 Corinthians 4:16-5:10. This is a passage that intrigues me and one that has been discussed frequently as a place where Paul's thought might have developed from 1 Corinthians.

I thought I might catalog today several of the interpretations of this passage. All of the following suggestions were made by card carrying PhD's in New Testament who not only know Greek--they likely know/knew it better than anyone you've ever met. Not only that, they probably know/knew ancient Greek literature better than anyone you've ever met.

In short, each of these positions have been held by people who know/knew how to interpret the Bible in context better than you or me, hands down. I say that so that no one says, "I clearly know more about the Bible than the person who said that does/did."

1. Between 1 and 2 Corinthians Paul has changed his mind on whether he will still be alive at the second coming. In 1 Corinthians he thinks he'll still be alive. In 2 Corinthians/Philippians he thinks he'll probably die first. (C. H. Dodd)

2. Between 1 and 2 Corinthians Paul has changed his mind on when resurrection will take place. In 1 Corinthians he thinks it will happen at the second coming. In 2 Corinthians he thinks it will be at death. (F. F. Bruce)

3. Between 1 and 2 Corinthians Paul has changed his mind on what the state of a person is in between death and future resurrection. In 1 Corinthians it is a sleepy, shadowy existence. In 2 Corinthians it is a more blessed state of union with Christ.

4. Between 1 and 2 Corinthians Paul has changed his mind on what the nature of the resurrection will be like. In 1 Corinthians he still has the Jewish idea of an embodied resurrection. In 2 Corinthians he has a more Platonic sense of immortality. (C. F. D. Moule)

5. 1 and 2 Corinthians are about two different things. 1 Corinthians is about individual resurrection, while 2 Corinthians is about the body of Christ as a group reality. (Victor Furnish).

6. There is no difference between 1 and 2 Corinthians. Although 1 Corinthians uses the imagery of sleep for death, Paul has in mind the same thing as what he means by nakedness in 2 Corinthians (a disembodied intermediate state). (N. T. Wright)

Now here's the punchline. It is not likely that many if any people reading this post, including myself, is anywhere near as qualified as any of the scholars I mention above to interpret this passage in context. Yet they have all come to different interpretations.

This is why we need theologians. The more you dig into the possible interpretations of these words--especially if you're honest and don't pretend like anyone who disagrees with you must be evil or stupid--the more ambiguous passages like this one seem.

The thing is, though, Christians throughout the ages have dug into these issues and on many many of them, they have hammered out points of agreement on the meaning we find in these words (whether they are the original meanings or not). For each individual to go back to the drawing board and ignore 2000 years of Christian theology is the heighth of foolishness. Here's what Christian theology has to say:

Christians believe in a future, bodily resurrection. We also believe that we will be conscious in between our deaths (should we die before Christ's return) and our resurrections--we will be "with Christ."

That's what we Christians believe, whether it was what Paul was thinking or not.

17 comments:

Angie Van De Merwe said...

I am glad that theologians have not had to conform! Otherwise, where would scholarship be?

I find it interesting that the passage you choose, so intrigues you....

Mike Cline said...

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2008/02/a_big_can_of_wo.html

Mcknight's new book seems to be going down the same line of thinking--how we interpret "with" our tradition, not necessarily "through." What this looks like will be interesting. I'm hoping to get a copy of his book.

Mike Cline said...

http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/
2008/02/a_big_can_of_wo.html

I wish I knew how to link that.

Keith Drury said...

Schenck, Smith, Bernias, Bernius and Williams are useless at best without Bounds and dangerous at most ;-) heh heh heh

Ken Schenck said...

We do come in handy during the occasional Reformation :-)

Mike, to link you put:

a href="link in quotes"

... within brackets:

< >

Then you put whatever you want to title the link, followed by:

/a

within brackets:

< >

Garwood Anderson said...

Ken,

You got my attention with this one. Two comments:
1) According to his autobiography, it appears that F. F. Bruce would credit his student, Murray Harris for the view he arrived at. Harris advanced it in his dissertation under Bruce. I have not looked at Harris's relatively recent NIGTC commentary to see how he has most recently articulated his view.

2) More significantly, though you chart 6 options, would you agree that (1) is really not parallel to the others (a different issue) and (2), (3), and (4) are variants of a very similar position? I realize that takes a little of the sting away, but I think you really have three options. Dontcha think?

Woody

Ken Schenck said...

Fair enough, Woody. But shall I give Margaret Thrall's nine different interpretations of the οικοδομη εκ θεου in 5:1?

:-)

I believe there are more and less likely answers to be sure for some of these questions. I was just making the point that those who isolate the Bible from church history and theology are just as likely to start a cult as hear God's voice...

Anonymous said...

i agree with you can that the isolation between bible, history, and theology is dangerous. at the ground level in the local church, when a person prays for deliverance from evil and then they have a bad day the early simplicities of a child-like faith fly out the window.

i knew the value of theology the first time my daughter stopped taking my word for it it and started asking me at age 3, 'why?'

it's not enough to just say, 'because i said so' . that would be nice if life were at simple as the t-shirt that says, 'God says it, I believe it, that settles it.'

Try that with a teenager.

Mike Cline said...

I can't get it to work...I'll have to take a flyby tech course some day.

Garwood Anderson said...

Ken: I believe there are more and less likely answers to be sure for some of these questions. I was just making the point that those who isolate the Bible from church history and theology are just as likely to start a cult as hear God's voice...

No argument here, Ken. Fair point. There's a little part of me that overreacts if I think people are overreacting to the hopeless ambiguity of language. I'm more in the "messy, sure, but we can work with it . . . and thank God for the common wisdom of the Church, which when not 'common' means we need to tread lightly." Guessing that puts us on the same page, or at least facing pages.

Woody

Marty R said...

Professor Schenck, it's Marty from IWU 97-01. I enjoy reading your blog, but can I make a couple readability suggestions?

1. Bold your lists or main points.
Then expound beneath them in plain text.
2. Be concise.
Bloggers and blog readers digest large amounts of information quickly, and subscribe to MANY feeds. So, if you want them to read you more thoroughly and enjoy it, I suggest being brief. Quality over quantity.

That's it from me!

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks Marty... Hope you are well.

Kevin Wright said...

Ken, I for one appreciate your writing the way it is. The last thing we need is more people who succumb to our culture of sound bites and blurbs. It's one thing to be verbose and quite another thing to use words as a way of clearly communicating what you want to convey. I appreciate how you find a way to take technical jargon and interpret it for the rest of us. Saying something significant often takes more than a pithy statement.

Ken Schenck said...

Thanks Kevin...

I think I should probably diversify some :-)

Sometimes I use the blog to help me write (that's selfish stuff). Sometimes I do a little vent (I need to be more reserved here). I should probably do a little more of the "choice" sort that John D. does. Stop talking and let some real discussion take place.

I do appreciate that some of you keep coming back!

Angie Van De Merwe said...

I hope that I am ONE of the many that you welcome "coming back"...in presuming that I have that benefit and am not being selfish...I need to say that I have finally come up with my thesis statement...bar that Keith P. does not help me redefine it...what do you think???
"Society and the individual's paradoxical interelationship is exemplified in the scholarly analysis of Lawrence Kohlberg and Carol Gilligan." The ideals of justice and liberty from modernity's "nation state" and the ideals of justice and mercy as it applies to the individual in character development...
I am ready to "bite the bullet" on this one and I hope I am not being presumptuous...

Angie Van De Merwe said...

OOPS! This got submitted before I stated that the historical, and contextual, which is a particularizing of "truth" is the postmodern understanding. The male/female complementarity of "truth" is the interrelationship of both the universal (modern and reasonable) and particular (postmodern and creatively relative)...The apologetic is how God's image develops in man according to these "truths"...order/structure and nurture/care...

Ken Schenck said...

Hey Angie, what are you making a thesis for? going to do another degree in moral development?