Sunday, October 28, 2007

Lectionary Thoughts: 2 Timothy 4:6-8,16-18

Today's BCP lectionary reading (Year C ;-) is from 2 Timothy:

As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

At my first defense no one came to my support, but all deserted me. May it not be counted against them! But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion’s mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and save me for his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen.

We traditionally read these words in the light of Paul's approaching death. The first defense is understood as a preliminary appearance before Nero. We generally think of Paul dying after a subsequent appearance.

There is a serious pathos to the second paragraph. Even Paul's fellow workers deserted him, except for Luke. Yet he is a model for us as we face the ultimate. First, he faces the future with resolve. Despite opposition from those outside and abandonment by those who should have stood at his side, he stands resolute, ready for his departure. How would we do if we were put in such ultimate circumstances?

There's a fair chance that many Christians would do fine when facing the ultimate challenge to their faith. Indeed, they are more likely to be defeated by the smaller, day to day challenges where the "Christ or sin" choice is far less clear. Paul had been preparing for the ultimate. The challenge for us may not be so much to answer correctly before the emperor. The question for us is whether we can say at the end that we have fought the good fight all along!

No comments: