Monday, July 09, 2007

Paul 4.2

We found a ship headed off along the coast of Macedonia and boarded it. It set out first for the island of Samothrace, where we stayed overnight. The next day it headed for Neapolis, on the southern coast of Macedonia, where we got off with our things. From there it was less than a day's journey along the Via Egnatia to Philippi.

Philippi was a Roman colony. It's official language was Latin, although we had no problem speaking Greek there. Luke had some relatives in the city, who were glad to put us up until we could arrange other accommodations. I set myself up in the marketplace the next day to repair leather goods like tents and such. Then I tried to tell whoever came within earshot about the Messiah.

We were shocked that in such a significant city there was no synagogue to be found. When the Sabbath came, we figured there might be a place of prayer along the Gangites river. Perhaps there were not enough Jewish men in the city to form a synagogue or none of them had a large enough home in which to meet.

Sure enough, we found a group of women praying at dawn along the Gangites. I told them that we were Jews and asked if we might worship with them. When it was time, I asked if I might read the Scripture. Then I presented the good news that the Messiah had indeed come, the hope of Israel. They were excited at the message, and invited me to return the next week to come speak to them again.

No comments: