Monday, July 02, 2007

Paul 3.9

When Timothy had made a full recovery, he, Silas, and I embarked for the other cities and villages of Galatia. We first left Lystra for Iconium. There our reception at first was somewhat chilly. After all, it was here and at Antioch of Pisidia that the Judaizers had found their most sympathizing ears.

I discussed these things earnestly with them, for the circumcision had been very convincing. When finally it looked like I would not win them over, Silas brought up the Jerusalem Council and the letter from James to the churches. I had refused to bring it up. But only then did some of them soften before us.

The believers at Antioch were more receptive to me and Silas. But there the question of Timothy especially came up. Why did I circumcise Timothy if circumcision was so unimportant. I told them that I was willing to become all things to all people. To the Jews, I became a Jew that I might win Jews. But to the Gentiles, I became as a Gentile, that I might win some Gentiles.

By the time we left the region, I felt that we had won it back over to the gospel. It was hard won, though.

No comments: