Wednesday, July 04, 2007

4 Macedonia

We did not plan to spend long in Troas, but while we were there, my eyes started to act up again. My eyes had never fully recovered from the appearance of Christ to me. Although God restored much of my sight through Ananias, my eyes occasionally would stop my travels altogether.

But God always seemed to use it for good. Many of the Galatians would not have heard the gospel if I had not lingered because of my eyes. And the same thing happened again at Troas.

After the Lord once again rejected my prayer for complete healing, I sought out a physician in the city. The Lord brought Luke to me, a Gentile who was also a God fearer that attended the synagogue. He received the word of God eagerly and believed on Jesus the Christ. And while I administered the healing of soul to him, he also doctored me back to health.

Luke was so excited for the spread of the gospel that he asked to accompany us on our missionary journey. He also wanted to continue to minister to my health. We gladly accepted.

3 comments:

Angie Van De Merwe said...

I picked up "JEWS, GENTILES, AND CHRISTIANS" by Hans Cozulmann...he made the point that Judiasm and Christianity were revolutionary religions...how does this transfer or apply in our understanding of American Christianity??? We do NOT want to revolutionize America (at least, in its principles of liberty and justice for all)...It seems that fundamentalism is all about "revolutionary" belief...that is what drew me to Sam Harris book...and Islam's understanding of submission to God at the point of death...that is NOT what God desires...sacrifice...but obedience to our understanding of truth...which is a relative (individualized and situation specific) obedience...no one can really know what is "right" for us in specific situations, for no one except the individual involved has all the facts...in this sense it is NOT about ethics...but we can't disregard ethics altogether...justice is tempered by mercy because we are human beings and not God, in the sense we are limited in our viewpoints...that is why the Church is important, NOT because the Church is a tool of God to coerce and manipulate obedience...And that is why America is SO great and I will die for her principles!!!!!

Ken Schenck said...

Conzelmann was one of the great scholars of the twentieth century, although he wrote before the "new perspective" on Paul and Judaism rose, so he may have some skew in his understanding of Judaism, in my opinion. I don't know anything about this particular book...

Angie Van De Merwe said...

I don't know what you mean by the "new perspective on Paul", but I am not into the "supernatural" right at this point in my "walk", as I have trusted and believed and been naive, as regards to the "other" findings in science (the academic disciplines), etc...Han Cozulman gives a more "rational" critique of ancient civilization and the upsurge of religion within a political and philosophical context...I am interested in understanding THAT right now, so that wisdom will not be without knowledge....I am committed to that, as I think that reason (Logos) must be incarnated...lived out...and what I lived by before was deficient....it was "all about love" (mercy without justice)...right living means that right realtionship must be met with the two principles in mind...and that is what I am seeking...Thank you for helping me...because my judgment as to what I commit to will depend on it...