Thursday, May 10, 2007

Paul 1.6

As the day went on, I began to think about what Barnabas and I would need for the journey to Jerusalem, especially what youth in the church we might invite to help us with our supplies. The Holy Spirit brought a young man named Titus to mind.

Titus was in his mid-teens and was the son of one of the first Gentile converts to the Way in Antioch, a man named Jason, originally from Crete. He had come along with his father to the meeting of elders the night of our arrival. I took note then that the boy of two years ago was now almost a man. Though he didn't speak at our gathering--which would not have been appropriate--his eyes told me his spirit was strong and his faith full of life.

At about the time for mid-day rest I took directions from Manaen to Jason's house and made my way there. I first approached Jason and asked if he would be willing to let his son travel with us for our assistance.

"Jerusalem is not an inviting place for a Gentile," he said, "unless you are a Roman soldier."

"There are both Jews and non-Jews there from all over the world," I insisted. "And no one makes inspections for these sorts of things," I said with a wry smile.

Neither Jason nor Titus were circumcised. His father had seriously considered undergoing the operation when he came to Christ. But I had vigorously protested against it then.

"God settled this debate Himself," I told the assembly. "He filled the household of Cornelius with the Holy Spirit under the ministry of Peter while they were still uncircumcised. God did not wait for us to debate this issue but gave us the answer before we hardly even had thought of the question. Peter himself will attest to it."

So Jason gave his permission and thought that Titus also would be eager, which did indeed prove to be the case.

2 comments:

Angie Van De Merwe said...

I went back to read any "comments" I might have missed and found one of your comments interesting. Therefore, my question, what did you mean that this was THE Galatia that was wrtten to....since it was an EN? What is the "other" position and what are its implications? I am interested because of the Judiazer question for me....if we are not perfected by the "law", but by the Spirit, what does that mean to the "other" interpretation? Or maybe I should ask without assuming I know all I should, what was the import of rebuking the Judiazers?
Are the "God fearers", in that sense, not to be Christinized (Judiazed)?

Ken Schenck said...

Angie, Galatians 2 and Acts 15 are different enough that probably most evangelicals see them as two different events. That usually means that Galatians is seen to be written before the Jerusalem Council and thus to the southern part of Roman Galatia, which included the cities Paul visited on his first missionary journey.

Others see Galatians written either a little or a lot later. Those who go with the latest date usually see it written to the northern part of the Roman Galatian region, which was historically the original Galatia and some centuries prior was home for the ethnic Galatians (who were Celtic ancestors).