Wednesday, October 11, 2006

My Advice to Greenway #1

We now enter the final week of the conflict at Asbury.

As far as I know, Greenway continues to believe that God has not yet released him of his call to Asbury. Anonymous, who I take to be a board insider, suggests that Greenway's presidency simply cannot be saved. But I do not know this for certain. And I have not heard a single item of evidence that would merit in itself his termination, although I have pursued several with individuals who I would expect to know. If the argument is from the cumulative effect of individual faults, such a conclusion will be by its very nature debatable.

So in my next two or three posts I want to suggest how, if I were Greenway, I would go about trying to win the board over to my continuation as president.

First, I would make sure that I am invited to Atlanta to appear before them.

This is of course something outside Greenway's power, although forums like this one can have an impact in Greenway's favor. Dr. Smith told the trustees that he was going to ask President Greenway to "set aside" this coming Tuesday (17th) so that he would be available to meet with the BOT. However, Smith also implied that it might not be necessary for Greenway to meet with the BOT on the 17th, depending on the outcome of the investigative committee meeting.

I am of the impression that the investigative committee did meet yesterday. On the assumption that it did,

Is Smith now going to invite Greenway to the BOT meeting in Atlanta this coming Tuesday for sure now?

Although I do not know the intimate details of the supposed failures of Greenway, the rightness of letting Greenway appear before his accusers is obvious. So at this point of the conflict, this question becomes the first order of business.

Even if it is simply for good show, there is no imaginable reason not to invite Greenway.

If Greenway doesn't want to come, then he no longer is thinking of being president. But the only reason not to invite him at this point seems either bad judgment or a desire to stack the odds against him on the 17th. Neither of these are legitimate reasons.

So has Greenway been invited now? Perhaps Dr. Smith has already invited him. I hope so. Does anyone know? Surely it is appropriate for the BOT to tell us this! Surely there is nothing confidential about telling us openly that Greenway has been invited!

Has Greenway been invited?

No comments: