Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Epilogue: Working Through It

I hope you don't mind if I do my therapy in public, but I thought it might help someone else out there like me work through this thing.

Basic Premise: We might differ with this or that board member on this or that issue, this or that decision, but 1) surely the collective board has Asbury's best interest in mind, 2) surely the collective board has a heart devoted to God and His Christ, 3) surely the collective board was over-informed if anything of this situation, and 4) surely the board has some truly insightful, wise, and savvy individuals on it.

Thought 1: Regardless of the past, regardless of the events that led up to this day, I'm going to try to believe that the final decision was the right one for this point in time. This is especially true if a high percentage of the board thought this was the right course of action.
I personally do not believe that there ever was any single, fatal "Weapon of Mass Destruction" found. But I'm going to try to trust that, however we got to this point, this was the right decision for where the seminary was at yesterday.

Thought 2: Even though I've been critical of the way this whole process has been conducted, even though I think there are some changes that can and should be made in Asbury's governance system, I'm going to try to trust that the board will self-correct.

I found nothing out of order in the "We Wonder" series for the way it pointed out irregularities in the way this crisis has been handled. I'm going to try to believe that their voice has been heard. I believe the board values the faculty here and will reach out to them at some point in the near future. I doubt they'll do it as fast as I would if I were on the board :-) But I believe the collective board has and will seriously wrestle with how to honor confidentiality and yet let the faculty know that they have highly valued their voice.

It may take a few years for them to work through what shared governance means and balance of power issues. But I'm going to try to believe that they will.

In a strange way, a way I wouldn't have expected to experience even when I got up this morning, I believe the board will do their best to make this thing right not only in their own minds (I believe they already believe they've done the right thing), but to help the rest of us out here watching as well.

If I and we can manage to be patient, I think God will work all these things to where unexpected good rises from the ashes!

I hope that God will richly bless all of you who have struggled like me through this thing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a Dunham era grad and have never met Dr Greenway. I have heard a couple of his messages on CD. With positive attidudes about his leadership from staff, professors, students and alumni, and with healthy enrollment and finantial strength, and with a blanket statement that this was not a moral issue, I believe the BOT has an obligation to explain themselves. I have to consider future support, recommendations to prospective students and my own attitude about the institution that prepared me for ministry. In the silence, I can only imagine a power struggle. I can say clearly to the Board Chair, Jim Smith, that your actions have a strong tendancy to alienate every pastor who has ever struggled with a PPRC/Deacon Board/etc. As the percieved leader of this action, if no imformation can be released, Jim Smith should resign to avoid the appearance of evil. If he is doing God's work, he will be blessed as suffering for righteousness sake; and if he has followed his own agenda, may God and all those affected forgive him.

Bob Rose

David Drury said...

Good epilogue, Ken.

I appreciate your honest and persistent reporting on this situation. In this internet age you've performed the "hallway conversation" function that has always existed when important meetings take place... every since the early church councils.

It just so happens that instead of standing the corner with news of happenings, you're just posting it on the internet--so your hallway is just a lot bigger.

-David

Anonymous said...

As a prospective student, I'm still waiting for some of the points in the "We Wonder" series to be addressed, before I commit.