Sunday, September 17, 2006

My Foray into Problem Based Learning

I have tried to incorporate a problem based learning approach into my two upper level Bible classes this semester. What I have done is dream up some church crisis that relates to whatever chapter of Philippians or Galatians (two different classes) we might happen to cover on the content quiz that day, then the class breaks up into groups to solve the crisis. We are to bring in anything we know--like things from pastoral counseling classes, church leadership, Christian ed, theology, etc.

Of course since it is a Bible class, the focus is on interpreting and appropriating biblical texts in relation to a problem. I have most of the commentaries from the library on Philippians and Galatians checked out and they are at the front of the room for reference. I also encourage the students to bring their laptops and use the wireless in the building to do Google and Wikipedia searches on things like "Seventh Day Adventists" and such (see below).

Here's just a couple we have done:

1. A member of the congregation is close friends with a Seventh Day Adventist who is trying to convince her that we will not be conscious in the time between our death and our resurrection. Her friend has pointed out that Paul uses the word "sleep" in 1 Corinthians 15 and 1 Thessalonians 4. Is someone conscious when they sleep? We did this assignment on the day we took a quiz over the content of Philippians 1.

2. A women's study group is working through Galatians and is having a cat fight over what Paul says about Hagar and Sarah in Galatians 4. One woman thinks it is a prophecy about Islam, which is represented by Hagar. Another woman thinks that it means God has no more interest in Israel as a nation of Jews, that Christianity has replaced Judaism. This makes the third woman angry because she believes that the nation of Israel is a fulfillment of prophecy and a sign of the end times.

I think the classes are enjoying this approach. I cover my main objectives by quizzing and such. Then this activity is skill building without specific content objectives. And it has brought up some very central issues that you may not ever get to if you are only studying the content and original meaning:

1. What issues do we need to correct others on and when is it okay to let them be a little "heretical," if any?

2. Are all the books of the Bible at the same point in understanding? Does Paul's understanding of the afterlife develop? Does he represent the "final understanding" in the NT or does one need to go elsewhere, to Luke, for that?

3. Are some of Paul's arguments better than others? Does he make the Hagar-Sarah analogy because his opponents have raised a really good point and he's doing his best to combat it? If so, are there other arguments like this, where the situation rather than "detached, absolute truth" is driving his argument (1 Tim. 2:12?).

Of course these are issues that we leave somewhat gray because they are scary territory.

If IWU starts a seminary, I believe this way of teaching is the way to go for the bulk of the courses. In that way, these courses are highly relevant to actual ministry. I think if it was done right, such a seminary might very well revolutionize seminary education.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Ken! I think that this approach is dead-on right. I try some of this in Intro to Old Testament. For me it is a false choice to have to choose between "what it meant" or "what it means".

Ken Schenck said...

I think this is the focal way most of us "use" the Bible in practice and ministry. But here's the question for you and me and Asbury. The standard IBS method takes the approach--"Study a book thoroughly from survey to detailed observation to word study and interpretation to integration to appropriation. And you'll have enough sermons to preach for a lifetime." In practice we can use the same skill set for both, but they are distinct approaches to texts. Do we choose one or the other or alternate?

S.I. said...

Hey--thanks for the links regarding communion. Scatterbrain that I am, I forgot I had asked until last night.

Anonymous said...

Ken. I was a student of yours at Asbury when you were teaching a Greek class. I'm not sure how I stumbled on your blog, but I have been reading it for quite some time and just wanted you to know I appreciate your thoughts and insights. (It is amazing how many people read these things but never comment.) You have an amazing mind, and your articles are great. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I think this is a great idea and, in fact, could be a revolutionary teaching/learning method for seminaries. I'm looking forward to (perhaps) reading more.

paul

Ken Schenck said...

Steph, please pray for the "situationally challenged" Asbury!

Paul--you didn't give your last name. Was this at the seminary or the college? I ran into someone whom I had taught at Asbury college the semester Harstead was on sabbatical. There's little hope of me remembering names there, unfortunately. Better chance if it was at the seminary.

JMKendall said...

I'm really looking forward to see how you will incorporate Problem Based Learning into our Greek class tomorrow.



Side note. I really am impressed, so far, with PBL in Church Leadership. It is a lot of work, but is so incredibly applicable that I feel I will be much better prepared after graduating than if I only memorized terms and philosophies in how to run a church. It would be interesting to see it done in bible classes, hopefully next semester I will get a sample of that.