Thursday, September 28, 2006

Alumni Coffee House Chatter

There's been a lot of discussion these last two days in the Alumni Coffee House. Several alums feel that Peter Kerr's account is very subjective and that others like me have shown a hateful and, even one person suggested, sinful attitude. I don't perceive my emotions as hateful, although you'll see I have been rather blunt and at times, angry.

I thought I might put here just some of what I've posted since Dan Johnson's post below.
____________________
"By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if when the Executive Committee brings their agenda to the broader board this time expecting it simply to rubber stamp what they've already "decided" for them (I hear the board has been run this way for years), they may just find that this group of individuals has some questions for them. Some individuals seem confident they know what the board will decide regarding Greenway... but if so, it is surprising that they weren't able to stop Greenway from becoming president in the first place."

__________________
Then I posted this in response to someone else's questions:

"Is Andringa part of the ATS board?
No, he is the former chair of the CCCU (Coalition of Christian Colleges and Universities, the organization into which Steve Moore worked to get Asbury included), apparently now working primarily as a consultant. He's had an illustrious career and is highly respected, I believe.

If so, why was he hired as a consultant?
I don't know if Peter Kerr's original claim (version 1) that the consultant had not thought Greenway the best candidate has been confirmed or not, but it seems little secret that Dr. Smith has resisted Greenway as president since before the board decided on him. I have a hunch that Smith has continued to work with this consultant because they share a common perspective on what is best for the seminary. There's nothing wrong with that (unless of course if at some point someone let the end justify inappropriate means, and I cannot judge that).

If not, why would he communicate with Peter Kerr [a faculty member of Asbury College] directly at all, let alone write a letter of censure to him and his supervisors?
This seems a fair enough question. I know Dan Johnson contacted me and we had a friendly talk on the phone after I posted some questions here. He seems like a nice enough guy and I thought better of him for doing it. I am less clear that it is appropriate for a consultant to contact someone, unless of course they felt their reputation might be at stake. Then perhaps it would be appropriate."

_________________________
Then I posted this, adding on to something said by my old theology prof, Larry Wood:

"Larry: If there is information that anyone on the Board of Trustees has that cannot publicly be distributed, I respectfully request that this be shared with our faculty leaders in confidence (our provost and deans), and if my provost or my dean confirms this confidential information I am sure this faculty would immediately support the call for the President's resignation.

Me: As I think all the alumni would. But a phrase from a different context comes to mind here: "Weapons of Mass Destruction." We await any real evidence (and more importantly, I suspect the broader board outside the EXCO is awaiting) of WMD.

Don't ask us to trust you... we want to... but don't ask us. The potential consequences and implications in this case demand a healthy suspicion, not blind faith."
_____________________

Then this in response to some questioning Peter Kerr's motives:

"While there were clearly subjective elements in Peter's initial post, I thought the broad outline of the second one had little such, even if we should find that a few details can be questioned (you will not find that I am easily distracted from the big picture by questioning immaterial details like by-law references).

And do not paint me in some pro-Greenway category. I am pro-truth wherever it will lead in this situation. If I appear pro-Greenway it is because, given the evidence with which I have been presented (and not data restricted to internal avenues), the balance of evidence pushes me in Greenway's favor. If someone will produce real evidence of WMD, I will be glad to repent in dust and ashes.

I remain open to being convinced otherwise, but will become a more and more dogged gadfly the more I smell a rat."
_____________________

I posted this from a comment here, but later unsent it because I ultimately don't know whether it came from someone with knowledge or not. A former student of mine thought it served no purpose but to inflame, so I removed it. Of course everyone had read it and several had responded to it by the time I took it off.

"Someone posted this on a domain of mine:

'Contrary to the hopes and wishes of many seminary alumni, Dr. Greenway will not be returning to his post. This fact is all but certain. Furthermore, an interim has already been selected and will be introduced to the Asbury community in the very near future. Know this: those associated with the seminary will not be disappointed.'

I wonder if anyone on the broader board outside the EXCO has heard this wonderful news? Hmmm. I think I'll forward to them so that they can know how they're supposed to vote in October.
_______________________
Then this:

Vaughn W. Thurston-Cox writes: But as far as I can tell the board is making this nearly impossible. They are handing out information that is helpful for them.

Me: And by "board" here we mean primarily Jim Smith and then perhaps key members of the EXCO. My impression is that there is little communication going on right now between this power core and the broader members of the board. I suspect they have little more information than Dan Johnson has posted here. As far as I know (and I'll admit I don't know for sure), the broader board has not seen any WMD.

I personally believe that to preserve their honor when this is all over, several of these board individuals should either resign or return to the broader board. Otherwise the suspicion of wrongdoing will linger, whether it be true or not. The foul taste in all of our mouths will remain unless Jim Smith and several others reliquish their positions of power when this is all over and at least return to the broader board. Certainly it is very unwise (I'll tone down my emotions) for a chairman with one president to continue to serve as chair with another one. This is almost policy at all Wesleyan institutions of higher learning and it is very wise.

At least that's what I believe Christ would do."
____________________

Then I posted Keith's recommendation on the previous post as "Elder Statesman Advice from Keith Drury." Some thought it was not hopeful enough, that it represented the best human option, a "lose-lose."
____________________

Lastly I posted this tonight:

"I know some think I have spewed hatred in the posts I've made, but I am actually very sad, almost depressed by this whole thing and where I fear it is heading. It's no secret that Indiana Wesleyan University has long discussed the possibility of a founding a seminary. The Wesleyans do not have their own seminary, but many of our leaders have opposed founding one for a long time because they doubted we could form one as good as Asbury. And while I think it makes sense for us to have a seminary of our own, I've never worried too much about needing one--until now.

Maybe everything else was wrong with Greenway, for all I know, but he was successful in at least one area: he reconnected with our university--the single largest feeder college of ATS--and with our denomination. He was actually scheduled to come speak at IWU at about the time the board will be meeting to determine his fate. I don't know of any Asbury seminary president who's ever done that.

Maybe I'm absurdly fretting over nothing. But knowing how ticked some key Wesleyans are about the way this has come down and myself fearing that we will have neither a miracle of reconciliation nor an even handed Drury option, I have been wondering if our church will be left without any clear option for a seminary after this is over. These are the thoughts that are depressing me tonight."
____________
So I end with the same feeling I've expressed before. The sides are well staked out, the options clear. So why isn't the board rushing to town to solve this thing? Why are they waiting to send the fire trucks when Asbury is burning?

So now 10 days since this whole crisis could have been resolved if Smith had convened the board as soon as possible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Question based on speculation:

I've heard through the Methodist grape vine that Asbury is in danger of losing its accreditation with the Methodist church. The story goes that the Methodist church sent out a statement in 2003 to several schools outlining changes that had to be made (example: more Methodist faculty) over the next several years in order to keep their accreditation, and that Asbury hasn't made a real effort to tackle these issues (they still have time, but why do nothing?). The speculation is that it's not sitting well with the Methodists. Imagine if Asbury were to lose its status as an approved Methodist seminary and with it all of its Methodist students (and their money), I bet the brain trust at ATS wouldn't be happy with a new president already making waves with a major denomination. Maybe this is one of the WMD's you are looking for?

Ken Schenck said...

Yes, anon, that would make a lot of sense. It would explain why the consultant seems to have said Greenway had a 2% chance of success and why it would be important to change the situation immediately.

But if this is true, what I don't understand is why the 360 questions don't seem to have anything to do with this angle. And why the smoke screen over the problem with Greenway? Why not tell this rather than focus on insubordination as the problem and not even say anything along these lines? Why isn't this the buzz around the campus, since this UM statement came out a few years ago?

It doesn't add up in my head. If this is the real reason for this problem, then I can't figure out why the chair is saying what he is and why Asbury isn't saying what it isn't...

I hope to post a part of the UM report here this weekend. I deeply appreciate you and possibly others drawing this to my attention!

Kevin Wright said...

Ken, you said : "I have been wondering if our church will be left without any clear option for a seminary after this is over."

Did you get the package I sent you yet? Ironic how the most unlikeliest of schools is starting to make entreaties to the Wesleyans, huh?

Anonymous said...

If Asbury is in trouble of losing cerification in the UMC, it may be because of the low quality of theological preparation the seminary's students appear to have. The Florida Conf of the UMC Board of Ordained Ministry has been very concerned about this and met with Asbury administrators and faculty about the problem. ATS grads are believed to be much less prepared than Emory or Duke students. This was a big issue a couple of years ago. I do know that on the District level in which I served for a time, ATS students were red flagged by the theology committee.

If this has anything to do with Greenway's problems, I don't have a clue. It may be part of the reason ATS cerification by the UMC is being reconsidered,

Ken Schenck said...

Kevin, I got the package--I plan to show it around the office!

James, two words: Kansas City :-)

Craig, we here at IWU have thought Asbury needs to beef up its theology department. I suggested to Greenway that they hire Drury's son John so they can get out of the same category in which he puts Nazarenes :-)

Expax said...

Ken, my brother and former professor, I encourage you to let the current ATS crisis remain in house. Though we may be limited in the knowledge that we have, both as a student and you as an alumni/prof, it is still best I believe to let this discourse remain in house so that dishonor may not be brought upon us as one house and one family. Ken the reason I have elected to make this comment a public one to is because your publication via your blog is public. So I do implore you Ken to continue in a community filled with charity, love, hospitality, justice, and mercy. Let the community we as one belong to live as community. These types of actions only foster discord. I believe, and I do very much hope, that you did not mean to cause discord and abandon charity as such. Let you and I and all of Asbury live as community. Please reconsider posting anymore on this subject. I would even encourage you to pull what has been posted as to prevent anymore harm from being done.

I wish you the best my brother.

Ben Finger