Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Mr. Litfin goes to Marion

Dr. Duane Litfin, president of Wheaton College, was on campus yesterday. He seems a very honorable man and was very gracious even when uncomfortable questions were asked him by one particularly dogged member of our current faculty. You all might remember that Wheaton fired a professor for converting to Roman Catholicism last year. I am sincerely torn on whether Litfin did the right thing for Wheaton.

I respect the right of private religious institutions to set ideological boundaries around their faculty and students, as long as it is done from true conviction and not from hate or prejudice of an emotive sort. Don't ask me how to parse that legally. I do indeed find it a difficult issue. Would I allow for a Nazi school that taught Jews, homosexuals, and African-Americans should be killed?

Again, these are difficult days to know how the legalities will play out. For many in the broader culture, prohibiting a homosexual from teaching is tantamount to the same thing. Perhaps one solution is in ethical standards. There seems no harm, for example, it prohibiting anyone from teaching who has sex, period. So surely there is no harm in prohibiting anyone from teaching who has sex and is not married (then you have the wrinkle if gay marriage becomes legal). Some of you out there will have to argue these cases. It is an important issue to wrestle with at some point.

I do believe, however, that there is one serious flaw in Litfin's arguments for why he had to fire the man who converted to Catholicism. More than once yesterday Litfin implied that sola scriptura was in the "Statement of Faith" of Wheaton. If this were the case, then I think I would have to concede that you cannot be Roman Catholic and teach at Wheaton. I say this even though the very concept of sola scriptura is an impossibility of language, especially given the fact that the Bible is not a single book and it was written concretely to ancient audiences (meaning it was not written in the format of a timeless theological tractate). Those of you who read me regularly know my line of thought here.

There are two reasons why these comments seem to me logically flawed:

1. I double checked Wheaton's Statement of Faith and this does not seem to be the case. Here is Wheaton's statement:

"WE BELIEVE that God has revealed Himself and His truth in the created order, in the Scriptures, and supremely in Jesus Christ; and that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are verbally inspired by God and inerrant in the original writing, so that they are fully trustworthy and of supreme and final authority in all they say."

There is nothing here about sola scriptura, and the man had no problem affirming this statement. In my opinion, Litfin had an insufficient basis to fire the man in terms of this statement.

2. However, Litfin might have fired him on the basis of this statement, also in the statement of faith: "The statement accordingly reaffirms salient features of the historic Christian creeds, thereby identifying the College not only with the Scriptures but also with the reformers and the evangelical movement of recent years."

Ah, the professor's understanding of the phrase "supreme and final authority in all they say" does not fit with the what "the reformers and the evangelical movement of recent years." So perhaps Litfin might legally fire the man on this basis.

BUT, he has thereby deconstructed his sola scriptura claim thereby! The statement clearly identifies--and Litfin by firing him affirms--that the problem is not with this man's faith in the Bible, but in the particular magisterium to which he subscribes.

The magisterium of Wheaton is "the reformers and the evangelical movement." They are Wheaton's pope and council. So be honest, Litfin. The sola scriptura argument is a bit of a smoke screen. By making recourse to the reformers (extra scripturam) you have deconstructed your own argument. The problem you have with this man is mainly that he's Catholic, not evangelical.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize he was on campus. What fora did attend to be dogged by the faculty?

Ken Schenck said...

Really only one faculty member (not me)... The rest were rather cordial.

Keith Drury said...

1. "dogged" is a far more generous term than I would have used ;-)

2. Is there such a thing as an "evangelical Catholic?" What would that look like? I know an evangelical who is a congregationalist--can there be a person in a church who is evangelical when their denomination isn't? That is the hard question.

Ken Schenck said...

I've only read two pages of Mark Noll's new book Is the Reformation Over?, but he mentions a charitable Catholic organization called "the Evangelical Catholic." It promotes among Catholics "interior conversion, costly discipleship, devotion to the Scriptures, and a prayerful life..." Yep, that sounds like an evangelical except for one more add on... "obedience to the Church."

I would say that's an evangelical Catholic. Litfin might argue that sola scriptura and not merely devotion to the Scriptures is essential evangelicalism, and in that sense that this group has wrongly appropriated the name.

Keith Drury said...

In his definition then of sola scriptura a Wesleyan could not rightly be hired at Wheaton, for, while we believe that Scripture reigns we also require ourselves to adopt one particular view of Scripture that is issued by the church--our Articles of Religion (and the rest of the membership commitments). In a sense a Wesleyan is “bound” under an extra-biblical authority—the church’s understanding of the Bible. This is why Wesleyans can forbid members drinking alcohol or holding slaves. We submit to the church as our pope—which is submitting to an authority beyond our own personal interpretation of the Bible. This is hardly sola scriptura

As for Catholics I think Wheaton has every right to state that they hire only members of Protestant churches just like Calvin makes every6 single faculty member join the Christian reformed Church (and insists they send their children to CRC schools on penalty of being fired). They have a right to define who they will hire, even excluding non-Calvinists if they want to. They have a right to do that, but they should be more careful in how they defend it. I think Litfin’s explanation is a smokescreen, and you have shown that to be so by his constant use of sola scriptura when it is not even stated in their statement of faith.

A more tricky one is this: What if Litfin had a faculty member who attended the most liked “Wheaton Bible Church” every Sunday but also attended the Roman Catholic Mass every Saturday night—would he get fired for this? Of course not. It was “joining” the RC church that got this Protestant fired. This really gives “membership” heavy meaning doesn’t it? Which makes me want to ask, “Does Wheaton hire any faculty members who are Christians but not members of any local church?” I presume that (like most Protestant institutions including Wesleyans ones) that they’d hire a practicing Christian who attended a church but was not a member anywhere. So how does membership only become important in the instance of joining a one particular church?

Here’s what I really think. Wheaton can’t have a protestant faculty member switch to Catholic because they know they can’t do it and hold favor with all the Baptists and Reformed folk in their constituency. The Reformation Calvinists have always been the greatest Catholic-haters among us (after the KKK) and they still are even though they use prettier explanations than they used to.

I admit that Wesleyans have anti-Catholic bias too. But it was always more about lifestyle then doctrine. Wesleyans worried more about the Catholic’s drinking and hocus-pocus worship practices. And, of course Wesleyans never experienced the Calvinist reformation—we came from stock in England who broke from the Catholics over—yep, a lifestyle issue… divorce and remarriage privileges for Henry VIII ;-)

Nathan Crawford said...

I think that my Catholic friends and professors in my Ph.D. program would be quite bothered by all of this. (Of course, it is a Jesuit school so the magisterium is quite bothered by them).

Interestingly enough, we had a discussion on the authority of the magisterium last night in reference to Dei Filius (a document coming out of Vatican 1) - which many bishops actually did not endorse. Anyway, the authority always lies with Scripture and always has. Catholics believe that the Scriptures are the greatest and prime revelation of God on earth. However, the sticking point is who gets to say how to interpret these Scriptures. For Catholics, it is the magisterium, with the Pope giving encyclicals and bulls when there is a real big problem. For Wesleyans, it is also the church, but we have General Conferences every four years and this continually allows us to evaluate our interpretation of Scripture.

The problem with Wheaton is that all their cards are not on the table. They are non-denominational, meaning they get to dictate what Scripture means and how to interpret it. So, really, all the people are papists, following some sort of magisterial interpretation of Scripture, just one that was laid down long ago.

And on the issue of evangelical Catholics - I am not quite sure what an evangelical is or believes. It seems to be a pretty broad term. Catholics fall on this same broadness. I have some Jesuits who are much more careful in their readings of Scripture and conservative with their theology than I am, while others are liberal protestants.

I hope I have not just gotten myself in a whole heap of trouble.

Tommy said...

I went to Moody, a poor man's Wheaton. One mother I knew proudly announced that her daughter was attending Wheaton, the "Harvard of Christian schools." Well, I wanted to reply to her, I went to Moody, the West Point of Christian schools. We trained soldiers for Christ.

Evangelical Catholic? Closest I've seen is the man who led me to the Lord and then discipled me. He was evanglical then, converted to Catholicism after returning from missionary work in Yugoslavia over 20 years ago.

Just found your blog recently.
Your Neighbor to the South

Ken Schenck said...

Since this post is attracting more comments than I thought it would, I've put the new seminary one back in draft form and repost it when this discussion dies down.

Ken Schenck said...

Hey Tom, welcome to neverending conversations...

Nate, I'm always thankful when Drury posts in favor of something here--he's like the guy you say to "Cover me; I'm going in." He always pushes any issue to the extreme so that people like you and I end up inside the bounds. I figure Drury pretty much is the embodiment par excellence of a Wesleyan... the only Wesleyan general superintendent emeritus never to have held the office :-)

Nathan Crawford said...

Dr. Schenck,

I love that description of Drury! And I really like the idea of Drury as GS Emeritus. Can we just vote on that somehow or push it through? I know, we'll organize large rallies outside of HQ and rally until we get it. They've got to give in.

Kidding aside, I'm really thankful you guys are pushing boundaries and issues so that people like me can play and push those boundaries and issues in another way. I love the conversation. Thank you very much.

S.I. said...

I once worked for a man who was a rather Evangelical Catholic. He owned a Christian Bookstore.

S.I. said...

Oh, not to mention one of my best friends in high school, but she might not consider herself Catholic anymore.