Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Filibusters

The Filibusters don't evoke too much of a reaction from me. Business as usual. The usual feeling of detachment because who knows what these judges really think? And there's nothing I can do to stop whatever's going to happen anyway.

It's all about power. Shall I complain that the Democrats are stopping the nominations? I don't know; it's built into the system. Shall I complain if the Republicans nuke the option? I don't know; it's built into the system. What bugs me as usual is the pious hypocrisy of individuals from both parties who know full well they'd do exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot. Or maybe they all live in the usual political lala-land of self-deception.

Part of the problem is our post-modern acknowledgement that there really is no such thing as some Spock-like judge that makes decisions purely on the basis of some alleged "Constitution." Of course I could give out stupidhead awards to all the talking heads who are pretending that "their side" just interprets the Constitution and isn't idealogically affected.

And as usual, I don't feel like little old powerless me knows whether these judges are psychos or not. I am concerned if this Texas woman believes 1 Tim. 2:12 means women should not have authority over a man today--except as a judge of course. The UN appointee at least seems psycho, but I know that smear campaigns are very good at what they do. But who knows what these people would really be like?

I don't. Long live the surrealism and numb detachment of political observation...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

Can we filibuster faculty meetings?

Great to "hear" you yesterday.

Take care.
Brian Russell

Ken Schenck said...

There was some discussion at the Indiana Wesleyan branch campus...

Fun to "be" with you all yesterday too. And where was Bill when all this was happening? Please give the perpetual prodigal my greetings.