Saturday, October 09, 2004

As you choose...

One question in the debate last night made my heart sink.

I spent three months in Germany this last spring with my family. Back in 1993-96 I lived in England while doing my PhD. Back in the 90's I was the fun American. I was the tutor who ordered pizza for all his mentees once a semester and who was sure to have a tin full of chocolate "biscuits" ready at a moment's notice.

During two months in Germany back then I was our fun representative to Europe. My presence invoked all the images of our comedies and movies to them.

The feeling was a little less friendly this past spring--even from my old friends.

One question last night referred to a recent trip someone's famliy had taken around Europe. The person noted how much latent hostility they picked up toward America right now.

As Americans, we are voting on many things this election. As Christians, abortion is probably the issue that alone determines how most of us will vote, and there's nothing wrong with that. Others vote primarily because of their views on the economy or on education.

But in the eyes of the world, this election is about one thing. Up till now, those able to make the distinction have been able to aim their anger and hostility toward Bush's administration and Bush himself. Surely the American people are not behind this immoral pre-emptive invasion of a sovereign nation, they might think.

And anger there is. Many in the Arab world were already angry enough at us to fly planes into our buildings. We have now alienated our borderline friends as well, countries like Egypt. No doubt our actions have inspired the creation of many new terrorist groups like the one beheading people in Iraq. Zirkowi's (sp) group is not Al Qaeda and didn't even exist before we invaded Iraq as far as I can tell. I believe that Bush has helped these people recruit thousands who otherwise might have continued to view bin Laden types as extreme (e.g. college students at the university in Cairo).

Even if the leaders of England, Italy, and (formerly) Spain have backed us, their people emphatically have not. Turkey, which once was incredibly friendly toward the US (if you know Drury and Lennox, ask them about their earlier backpacking adventures). Some of its people now have great anger toward us.

We have alienated "Old Europe," which incidentally still controls the EU. Bush treated them with a "who needs you" attitude back when he thought the Iraqi's would write songs in his honor. Well, they may have written songs about him! But of course now that he realizes we need their help he's eating static.

Now maybe you don't want to travel like I do. Maybe you don't like history and like to go to these places. The fact that much of the world is angry toward us right now might not "hurt" you as much as it does me. Of course there are important matters of economy that are linked to foreign relations as well (e.g. oil), and these could adversely affect all of us whether we like to travel or not.

I might describe the situation today like this: we had a bank account full of world sympathy after 9-11. We also had countless nations around the world who "owed us one" from various favors we had done them throughout the years. Our actions in Iraq have not only drained the bank of world sympathy, they have called in all our debts. No one owes us any favors any more.

To the world, this election is about one thing--is our invasion of Iraq just the action of a dangerous president, or does Bush represent the will of the American people in this war?

To the world, a vote for Bush is a vote that says all America supported this defiant invasion.

As you choose, prayerfully vote according to your values. But you should also be aware that in the world's eyes, you are only voting for or against this war.

4 comments:

Michael Moore said...

Excellent, along with very convincing, blog Dr. Schenck. You have made me think A LOT about where I should cast my vote. At first it was Bush for sure, but certain points that you have made over the last few weeks have made me think about it. I am still not sure, but I thank you for your thoughts.

Ken Schenck said...

I want anyone reading out there to know that I'm venting a lot in these posts. In some ways I'd be a little sad if I led someone to change his or her vote. I'd be afraid some ignorance on my part had led them astray (may God protect us).

By the way, I've never actually said I'll vote for Kerry. I'd like to be thought of as undecided. Some Republicans are just staying home. I take fatalistic solice in the fact that Bush will win in Indiana no matter what.

I'm wearing glasses like everyone else, so I hope anyone my words tug at will talk to another Christian who vents against Kerry and for Bush. That way we can balance each other.

May we all pray hard before voting and may God make His will clear to us all!

D&K said...

Dr. Schenck, I have a history question that I'm currently looking to answer. Reading your blog shows me that you might have an answer:

In history, have we switched Commander in Chiefs in the middle of a war? If so, was it a positive transfer? Negative transfer?

In my opinion (and it's only that...an opinion), both of our candidates should've stayed home...so my vote is based upon who will do less national and international damage in the next 4 years (whoever is elected, it's looks as though we'll be getting a new person in 4 years...that's another one of my opinions).

- David

Ken Schenck said...

I know nothing--jack of all trades, master of none.

I'm pretty sure the switch from Johnson to Nixon took place during the Vietnam War (in fact I think they found some tapes of Nixon wanting to make sure the war continued at least until after the election).

The switch from Carter to Reagan spanned the hostage crisis in Tehran, Iran, which wasn't really a war. And the transition probably helped facilitate the release in this particular case.

And I think Roosevelt died near the end of WWII and that Truman actually dropped the bombs.

History majors of the world, join your forces to help us.

I do think it would have been detrimental to change administrations during WWII. As far as Kerry, you just don't know what all he'll do as far as change. He says he won't cripple the Patriot Act, but we just don't know. Or at least I don't.